How to preview sync changes and commit them?

Hello,

I would like to preview the sync changes, but there is no obvious way to do it. If I run:

rclone sync -n A B

It will print me the files that would have changed at the given moment, but it's not capable of committing the changes it shows. What I would like is something like the lfs for sync. So that I could do:

rclone sync -n --changes changes.txt A B (pseudo flag --changes)

Then I preview the changes.txt, and "commit" them manually:

rclone sync --from-file changes.txt A B

You may ask why not just run rclone sync -n A B and then just rclone sync A B, it's not the same thing, it's not guarenteed to be the same changes I saw in the dry-run.

Thanks.

You can use --dry-run

Will it create changes.txt?

You can use --log-file somelog.txt to put it into a file.

And how do I commit the changes in the log file?

rclone doesn't work like github where you can commit changes are it's not a repository tool.

If you want, you can build a set of files via the log file with a little scripting and use a copy command with files-from with that as a source for it if you really want to run something and sync it later.

Yes, but this is a new feature, and I think it's reasonable feature if it's not supported.

After all lfs already does the files-from scripts, so just new option for the sync: create from-file usable file.

I've updated my proposal with a flag --changes

If it's a feature request, use github to log/track the issue and talk to it there as it's confusing to be in both spots.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.