How to make rclone job queue?

Hello there. I need to do a few backups using rclone. Is there an easy way to queue up or can I do or start multiple backups at once?

rclone copy local_path remote_name:

When I run this command repeatedly (before the first one is finished), the second command does not perform any action.

Please warn me if there is a point I can't explain.

You can run more than one job by running it in the background & in Linux.
You can run a separate shell for each command.
You can use the remote control daemon to queue thing ups.

Really depends on what OS you are on and what version you are running as that's why we have the help template as it collects all the info up front so we don't go back and forth as it would also depend on what remote you are using.

1 Like

I wanted to explain again.

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am not able to do several backup operations simultaneously or sequentially in Rrclon from linux terminal using python.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.55.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

• os/type: linux (centos 7)
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.16.3
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy local_path_a remote_name:
rclone copy local_path_b remote_name:
rclone copy local_path_z remote_name:

I need to run commands in a single terminal before the queue runs out.

Unfortunately I can't find the outputs. Since I need to use a single terminal, when I print out, the terminal is busy and cannot type the new command. I can't make 2nd, 3rd, ... backups because this is how it is in my problem anyway.

As a result, I need to perform a few more backups at different times in the same terminal before a backup is finished.

Please don't tell me it's impossible. :slight_smile: This sounds terrible.

Could you please warn me again if there is something I wrote wrong or missing?

How are you using python as with a normal shell, you can just run commands sequentially and that would work?

1 Like

I run the python file in a terminal and manage that terminal using a python library (subprocess) in that file.

For now, I'm trying to do the operations in order, but in the system I'm working in, this has become a bit too complicated. So I'm looking for an easy way to do this with Rclone. I really need this.

I'm really not sure still what you are asking.

In a shell, you'd run:

rclone copy first remote:
rclone copy second remote:
rclone copy third remote:

and they would execute sequentially in order.

If you wanted them to run at the same time, you can do:

rclone copy first remote: & 
rclone copy second remote: &
rclone copy third remote: &

You can also use the remote control daemon to submit jobs and run them sync or async and that's documented here:

https://rclone.org/rc/

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.