How to make a crypt on Windows that points to a specific local directory

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm trying to encrypt a local folder on Windows using rclone but I can't make it work.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.64.0
- os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 10.0.19045.3448 (x86_64)
- os/type: windows
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.21.1
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Local remote

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

I made a local remote first (which I called localFolder). Then I made a crypt (localcrypt) pointing to that local remote with a specified directory which is this "localFolder:C:/Users/my name which has spaces/Desktop/Test/rclone".

I tried copying a folder from my second drive to localremote_crypt.

rclone copy -vv --progress --dry-run "D:\Downloads\somefolder\somefolder\some folder\targetfolder" localcrypt:

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[localFolder]
type = local

[localcrypt]
type = crypt
remote = "localFolder:/Users/my name which has spaces/Desktop/Temp/rclone"
password = XXX

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

Changed some of the folder names for privacy reasons.

2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.64.0" starting with parameters ["C:\\PathPrograms\\rclone.exe" "copy" "-vv" "--progress" "--dry-run" "D:\\Downloads\\somefolder\\somefolder\\some folder\\targetfolder" "localcrypt:"]
2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "D:\\Downloads\\somefolder\\somefolder\\some folder\\targetfolder"
2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : Using RCLONE_CONFIG_PASS password.
2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\Users\\my name which has spaces\\AppData\\Roaming\\rclone\\rclone.conf"
2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "D:\\Downloads\\somefolder\\somefolder\\some folder\\targetfolder" to be canonical "//?/D:/Downloads/somefoler/somefolder/some folder/targetfolder"
2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "localcrypt:"
2023/10/01 06:17:15 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "\"localFolder:/Users/my name which has spaces/Desktop/Temp/rclone\""
2023/10/01 06:17:15 Failed to create file system for "localcrypt:": failed to make remote "\"localFolder:/Users/my name which has spaces/Desktop/Temp/rclone\"" to wrap: config name contains invalid characters - may only contain numbers, letters, `_`, `-`, `.`, `+`, `@` and space, while not start with `-` or space, and not end with space
[crypt]
type = crypt
remote = remote = c:\path\to\f o l d e r
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = xxx
password2 = yyy

rclone copy file.ext crypt: -vv --dry-run
1 Like

I've already tried that earlier except I put the path inside double quotes. It's working now. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.