How to exclude items with type 'pipe', on Linux?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

My backup script reports:

NOTICE: .zoom/data/com.zoom.ipc.assistantapp__res: Can't transfer non file/directory
NOTICE: .zoom/data/com.zoom.ipc.assistantapp__req: Can't transfer non file/directory

The items show as type 'pipe' in my graphical file manager. In a terminal:

$ ls -all
[. . .]
prw-------  1 [. .]  0 Dec 26 00:05 com.zoom.ipc.assistantapp__req
prw-------  1 [. .]  0 Dec 25 18:01 com.zoom.ipc.assistantapp__res

Is there a way, please, of telling rclone to exclude this type of item? Ah, I see that there is 'metadata filtering' (Rclone Filtering) . .

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1
- os/version: linuxmint 21.1 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.19.17-051917-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.19.4
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

b2

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync /home/<my userName> enc-b2:/x1/current/home/<my userName> --buffer-size=128M --delete-during
+--filter-from=NJ/Backup/BackupSetup/rclone/lists/home_filter-from --ignore-errors --max-size=35M --track-renames --track-renames-strategy modtime,leaf
+--backup-dir=enc-b2:/x1/old/m01d05/home/<my userName> --bwlimit=34M --log-file /tmp/rclone_monthly_NVu -P --stats=0 --stats-one-line --fast-list
+--local-no-check-updated --one-file-system --skip-links --b2-hard-delete

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Not relevant.

I'd imagine you'd probably have to update your filter from and prefill that with files to excludes based on their type.

find /someplace -type p 

Would list all the files of type pipe and you could exclude them that way.

These don't cause an error in the sync, just a log message. Untidy but the sync is still good :slight_smile:

I think this log message comes before the filtering so you can't exclude it with a metadata filter yet, but nice idea.

Rclone should allow these files through when using -M syncs most likely then you could backup and restore device nodes etc. Not sure you can ever backup a pipe or a socket though?

What does rsync do about this?

@ncw

Thank you, and @animosity, for the replies.

I ill understand the following, partly because the first sentence (being ungrammatical) is hard to parse.

Rclone should allow these files through when using -M syncs most likely then you could backup and restore device nodes etc. Not sure you can ever backup a pipe or a socket though?

Sorry! Although English is my first language, I don't seem to be able to speak it any more :wink: Here is my second attempt:

Rclone should allow devices, pipes and sockets to appear in listings (rather than give the error above) when using -M. This would mean syncs could transfer them and re-create them in the destination. I'm unsure whether you can sensibly back up pipes and sockets though.

Thanks, Nick. Now I understand.

Here's the thing though. I suppose that I could use -M to backup the 'pipes' but I think that I'd rather leave them alone whilst suppressing the 'notices' that rclone generates when (having been run without -M) it encounters such items. I take it that at present there is a way to do that, but not a fine-grained one - that sledgehammer-y way being to lower rclone's log-level.

Yes - log-level is the sledgehammer way.

I copied this behaviour from rsync which moans about stuff it can't transfer and expects you exclude it.

Maybe there should be a more fine grained way of saying "I don't care about pipes".

Or maybe I should just lower the log level on the offending line?

1 Like

I copied this behaviour from rsync which moans about stuff it can't transfer and expects you exclude it.

Except:

I think this log message comes before the filtering so you can't exclude it with a metadata filter yet, but nice idea.

I think that implementing the 'nice idea', and thereby being more rsync-y, would be the way to go. Still, I'd take either of your other options (viz.: a way of telling rclone to be quiet about, specifically, pipes.; and not reporting transferred pipes at log-level 'notice').

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.