Help with setup and mount

I began using rclone about a month ago to mount my google drive which contains my blu-ray collection for plex. Originally I had been uploading from the google drive website and using a read-only mount. Now I want to add 4K content and a crypt layer but have been having trouble with buffering. I have a symmetric gigabit connection to my PC and the streaming device I have been testing on so bandwidth is probably not the problem. All content is being direct played. I am on windows 10 64 bit and rclone version v1.50.2. I am trying to optimize my settings and mount for my setup. I currently upload and stream off one mount.
Setup:

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id =
client_secret =
scope = drive
root_folder_id =
service_account_file =
token =
use_trash = false
chunk_size = 16M

[gcrypt]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive:
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true

Mount:
rclone "gdrive:" X: --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --buffer-size 1G --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off
With this setup, I get around 20 MB/s up and lots of buffering with 4K streams. Should I add a cache wrapper or vfs? Any suggestions?

You don't seem to have --vfs-cache-mode listed. Don't really run plex off mounts etc, but usually for mounts in general I use --vfs-cache-mode writes. This way it's read directly from the remote.

With the crypt, honestly I'd drop it. I don't know if caching a crypt still helps, but it is still listed in the docs as far as the OOP which I think is crypt the cache / cache the remote iirc. Be careful too because then you'll have double caching going on with vfs and a cache remote.

Without crypt obfuscating stuff Google will play almost anything natively and direct without the need for anything external whatsoever. I often play BD .m2ts files without problem, and I've even tried UHD directly for giggles and it worked. Drive can also transocde on-the-fly if you so wish. Outside of native capabilities there's the Google Drive plugin for Kodi as another alternative with the direction that Plex is currently heading. I want to say everything is direct in Kodi while I seriously doubt that Plex is using direct on 4k/HDR content.

welcome to the forum,

the reason that crypt is important and should be used is to prevents google or other cloud provider from scanning your files for copyright infringement.

For reading files, there is no need for using vfs-cache-mode at all. That is a specific option for write compatibility.

The purpose of the cache backend is to provide a lock disk cache area for the mount. This works fine regardless if it's a crypt or not a crypt as it still functions the same.

There are use cases with applications that open and close a lot that the cache backend helps with this since chunks are kept local.

Plex Direct plays just about all content these days including 4K HDR content. It depends on your client device more than anything else.

Thanks. Adding the --vfs-cache-mode writes increased my upload speeds by quite a bit. I had been storing all of my files on a ebay bought team drive but since that got deleted I have decided to just use the unlimited google account my school gives me and add a crypt layer.

the problem with rclone mount is that it has very slow uploads.

here is what i do, the best of two worlds solution.
i have two rclone commands.

one command using rclone mount for plex, as you do now
rclone mount gcrypt: b:\mount\plex\

then i have another rclone command for fast uploads,
rclone copy source gcrypt:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.