Help with MacOS mount - How to download all to enable spotlight search

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have a mount on MacOS and I want to have a local copy downloaded so no wait times to preview or have Spotlight to search for text on all mount files, not sure I'm doing this right.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive for this particular folder but the mount is a union of 3 folders from 2 clouds.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

/usr/local/bin/rclone mount MyCloud: /OneUp/MyCloud --vfs-cache-mode full --allow-other -o local

Should I use something like:

--vfs-cache-max-age=100000h

And after having a proper mount command, how do I "force" the local copy sync? Is this the right command?

rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true

Thanks

hello and welcome to the forum,

yes,

that is to refresh the vfs dir cache, creates a index of all files in MyCoud:
so spotlight search should perform faster

once the mount is working - /OneUp/MyCloud
then you can use any local tool to access the files.

if you want to sync all files, perhaps use rclone sync

Hello and thank you!

And how should I use the sync command on a mount? The sync help page doesn't mention it.

Is this it?

rclone sync MyCloud: /OneUp/MyCloud -P

Yeah the sync above isn't doing anything to that mount.

For the record, the mount is functional on my mac using this updated string:

/usr/local/bin/rclone mount MyCloud: /OneUp/MyCloud --dir-cache-time=100000h --vfs-cache-max-age=100000h --vfs-cache-mode full --allow-other -o local

However I'm still having buffer to simply preview files on finder so I guess I have no local copy, let alone having their contents scrapped by Spotlight.

Ended up just using an ordinary dir sync. Wrote this launchagent plist for an everyday sync of a local folder and now I'll have them copies and spotlight does its thing.

I think I misunderstood the mount feature, as I believed it to be kinda the same as a native ie.google drive folder, really unsure why I can't just force a local copy of the mount to live on my machine. In the end the sync works fine as rsync is just supposed to work me an extra backup between two clouds.

Thanks.

well, if an app reads from the mount,
then rclone will download the chunks from the pcloud and save them in the vfs file cache.

and you set the --vfs-cache-max-age

what is lacking with all that?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.