Help with crypt remote

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Noob question please - i'm still struggling to grasp how this whole thing works. I created a crypt remote for an existing remote that has a bunch of folders and files in it already. Mounted the crypt remote alright but it appears completely empty when viewed locally. Now, I can create locally new folders and files and they will appear in the gdrive encrypted as they should.

The question is - why are the pre-existing items not being encrypted? Do I need to create a folder on the crypt remote and copy everything in there?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

windows 10

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

There is not anything that auto encrypts the content that was already there.

Think of the encrypted remote as a brand new thing.

The only way things get encrypted is they are uploaded to that. The encryption happens via rclone and has nothing do with the remote or cloud provider.

So if you want to encrypt all your content, you have to upload / copy it to the encrypted remote.

Brilliant, thanks! Do you reckon the most efficient way to go about it would be just to move everything to the new encrypted subfolder via the gdrive web interface as opposed to re-upload it?

No, that would not work as it would not be encrypted. You have to use rclone to upload it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.