Help me with rclone mount settings for music files

I recently moved all my music to the cloud (more than 200gb of 320kbps mp3 files) and I’d like to stream the music from there. So far the experience isn’t good at all so I’d like to get some feedback in regards to my current settings in order to improve the performance:

Purpose
Mount files hosted in gdrive in a dedicated server & stream them with Airsonic

Files hosted
320kbps MP3 files with an average size of 12mb

Issues faced
1-Slow scan. It takes more than 1 hour to scan 600 songs (and that’s not even 1/4 of my library)
2-It takes between 10 to 30 seconds to start a song (usually a bit worst when I hit next to skip to the next song)
3-Sometimes when a song finish it can take more than 1 minute to automatically get the next one started

Current settings
I’m a noob, so don’t copy unless you want to have the same issues I have!
For instance, I’m not sure if I should use a cache remote or a normal one since I believe some VFS settings could create conflicts with the ones in the cache remote

[Unit]
Description=Rclone mount of a gdrive cache remote for music 
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=notify
Environment=RCLONE_CONFIG=/data/rclone/rclone.conf
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount juanmartincachemusic: /GDtito \
   --allow-other \
   --buffer-size 16M \
   --dir-cache-time 72h \
   --drive-chunk-size 32M \
   --log-level INFO \
   --log-file /home/tito/logs/rcloneGDtito.log \
   --umask 002 \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size 16M \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /GDtito
Restart=on-failure
User=root
Group=root

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

My Rclone config file:

[juanmartincachemusic]
type = cache
remote = gdrive:Music
chunk_size = 16M
info_age = 2d
chunk_total_size = 1G
db_path = /home/tito/rclone-cache
chunk_path = /home/tito/rclone-cache
db_purge = true

Turn off cache and just use VFS.

Thank’s I’ll use a normal remote instead of a cache one :slight_smile:

What do you think about my buffer-size, drive-chunk-size, vfs-read-chunk-size and vfs-read-chunk-size-limit values?

I know I’ll need to test and see, but so far does it look like optimized for music streaming?

I would think that looks fine. Give it a try and if you have issues, just grab a debug log of when you hit play on a file.

hi guys,

I am actually trying to do the same thing. Will follow your advice and will mount it without the cache settings.

As their was no returns on how it turned out, I will take care t let you guys know if it worked for me ! :wink:

If you have issues and want help, open a new thread with your questions. Closing this for now.