Have rclone use --fast-list by default

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have set up rclone to run automatic backups to a b2 remote using --fast-list to limit transactions (Few files in many folders so it quickly goes through the free quota). However, I sometimes want to interact with the remote directly, in which case I'm likely to not remember to add this option manually. I am therefore interested in seeing if there is a way to configure rclone to use this option by default.

I've already seen this which implies that it should be possible to add the option to rclone.conf, but I've been unable to get the syntax to work. Then I saw this documentations page which says the following about the backend flags: "These flags are available for every command. They control the backends and may be set in the config file." This seems to imply that the option can not be set in the config file? Am I correct in assuming that environment variables are the only way to do this?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

- os/version: arch 21.3.2 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.15.50-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.18.1
- go/linking: dynamic
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Backblaze b2

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Not applicable

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[B2]
type = b2
account = XXX
key = XXX

[B2_crypt]
type = crypt
remote = B2
password = XXX
password2 = XXX

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Not applicable

hello and welcome to the forum,

Non Backend Flags cannot be stored in the config file.

yes, can use environment variables.

1 Like

Thank you! I would prefer having all rclone related configuration in one place for ease of migration, but managed to get it to work with environment variables. I simply added the line export RCLONE_FAST_LIST="1" to ~/.bashrc following the pattern described in the Github issue from my original post, for anyone else that may need it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.