Google OAuth migration for rclone

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I received this email saying OAuth for Google will be deprecated October 3 does this mean I need to migrate to another storage provider?

Starting October 3, 2022 , we will block OOB requests to Google’s OAuth 2.0 authorization endpoint for existing clients. Apps using OOB in [testing] mode will not be affected. However, we strongly recommend you to migrate them to safer methods as these apps will be immediately blocked when switching to [in production] status.

OAuth client list:

• Project ID: [rclone-322618]
    • Client: Xxxx

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here
1 Like

Got the same email, there was a fix for the new auth method in 1.58 according to Change Google Remote OAuth - OOB Method has been deprecated. · Issue #6000 · rclone/rclone · GitHub however I'm not sure if I need to re-create my client IDs. Hoping someone can provide some clarification.

Got this too and saw the posts about fix in 1.58, but also unclear on what steps need to be taken - do we have to reconfigure the remote and/or recreate anything in developer console? Thanks!

Just received the same mail from Google.

What do I need to do?

Migrate your app(s) to an appropriate alternative method by following these instructions:

1. Determine your app(s) [client type from your Google Cloud project by following the client links below.
  2. Migrate your app(s) to a more secure alternative method by following the instructions in the blog post above for your client type.

Any info to sort this out would be appreciated :slight_smile:

a quick "how-to" would be great how to change this at google and later in rclone
it would be highly appreciated

of course a bunch of users got the email and the first thing was to check the solution here :wink:
thanks!

ps: a lot of users maybe with old rclone setup (which just works) and not touched for months/years :smiley:

Here is what you need to know.

TLDR this will only affect you if you need to reconfigure rclone remotely, if you do use rclone 1.58.

Here are the details

Normal operations

You can carry on using your existing rclone.conf - old versions of rclone will keep working just fine.

Re-authenticate with google locally

If you are making a new config with rclone config, or running rclone config reconnect and answer Y to this question

Use auto config?
 * Say Y if not sure
 * Say N if you are working on a remote or headless machine

y) Yes (default)
n) No
y/n> Y

Then you don't need to do anything. Old versions of rclone will continue to work just fine.

Re-authenticate with google remotely

If you are making a new config with rclone config, or running rclone config reconnect and answer N to this question

Use auto config?
 * Say Y if not sure
 * Say N if you are working on a remote or headless machine

y) Yes (default)
n) No
y/n> N

You'll need to use rclone 1.58 or later and rclone authorize or use any version of rclone and the copying the config method.

You cannot use the copying the token from the web page method any more - that's the OOB method that has been deprecated.

Client IDs

You don't need to recreate your client IDs or reconfigure anything in your Google Console.

3 Likes

Thank's, but I supose you want to say N instead of Y here:

If you are making a new config with rclone config , or running rclone config reconnect and answer **N** to this question

See the section immediately below that one: Google OAuth migration for rclone - #6 by ncw

Edit That had a typo in it which I've now fixed - sorry for the confusion

that’s exactly what I meant :sweat_smile:

thank's for the correction!

1 Like

sorry ths might be a stupid question, but i am not sure i understand you correctly. I am running rclone 1.58 on an existing setup and do not plan to make a new config or run the command "rclone config reconnect". So thats it for me, nothing changes?

Or do we have to "reconnect" in order to migrate? Thanks

google wrote:

The following OAuth client(s) will be blocked on Oct 3, 2022.

If I'm not planning to change the config for the next 4 years, as I didn't changed anything since 2018, then I'm fine? even google will block my OAuth "project"? will the client ID and pass still work?

You shouldn't have to do anything.

No you don't have to run rclone config reconnect.

Google won't block your project - everything will carry on working just fine. Google are only blocking the OOB method of initially authenticating the client which involves copying a token from the web page. If your client is already authenticated then nothing will change.

2 Likes

Thanks I made sure I’m on the latest version. I won’t be recreating the config anytime soon so I should be fine. If I do end up needing to recreate I can just use my old config file right?

Yes your old config should keep working just fine. The refresh token expires if you don't use it for some period (1 or 3 months, can't remember)

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.