Google Drive 'unlimited' - is there any limit/problem after a lot of Data?

Because a re-pricing would indicate a change in the way google intends to realize revenue from the service. Right now they are saying they don’t see a difference in usage pattern between one user and 5 users on a per user basis. If that analysis changes, they will likely change the signup terms across the board, as their metric is profit-per-user, not profitability in a vacuum. For every single user using 1PB they need over a thousand users to pay a monthly fee and use zero storage before the metrics don’t work.

Well, I wasn’t talking to you. But since you bring it up, you’re actually about as wrong as humanly possible. If someone is flagrantly abusing a service that I use (rely on?) and I have explicit evidence that similar abuse has lead to broad ramifications in the past, I have every right to point that out.

It’s not passing judgment to call out that user for basically bragging about abusing the terms of service, and then coming here to advertise it. It’s simply stating facts. If you find those facts offensive, perhaps that should tell you something.

If you can’t afford the cost of your own storage, don’t expect anyone else to subsidize you. Acting as if you have a right to be a free rider is disappointing. ESPECIALLY since the potential consequences would dirrctly impact the utility of the specific piece of software this forum exists to support—and to which many people have devoted significant time and energy. For free. And for your personal gain.

Essentially you are saying that you have zero respect for anyone who has contributed their own time to building a product you use. In other words, you deserve free stuff, but no one else does.

And apparently google owes you tens of thousands of dollars of free storage? Not sure how or why you think you can do whatever you want and your actions will have no consequences, but I think the word to describe that is “selfish.”

Hopefully Google takes a different stance than Amazon and simply terminates individual accounts instead of discontinuing the product all together.

Whether your mind works this way or not, just realize the consequences of such abuse take a direct toll on others, both regular users like you, and those who have given you ancillary software of their own goodwill (i.e. for free).

It's not free. It's unlimited and I'm using it as such. I pay for the service as unlimited. I do the same with my Internet that has no cap. I don't over use. I use for as much as I see fit based on the unlimited service they provide.

You are passing arbitrary judgement on what you consider to be unlimited and what is right based on your definition of how one should use unlimited services.

If they start to charge a higher price for unlimited, I'd happily pay for it based on what they charge.

Another example would be TMobile who was the first to do unlimited data. They throttle a line that goes over a certain amount and I surely use my data on TMobile as much as I want. My Verizon Internet is also unlimited and I consume what I want on that.

That's where we differ as I respect your opinion even though I disagree with it. I don't feel the need to talk down to you a person for having a different view than I do.

2 Likes

Do you?

If you don’t have 5+ users, you don’t pay for it. Definitely don’t comment on how many users you have... But if it’s not 5+, you don’t pay for “unlimited.”

Google will probably not arbitrarily change their mind on whether to hold users to their ToS. But they absolutely will if they have good reason to do so. Such as, you know, people paying $100 to use $50k worth of storage?

OP’s question was “how much can I safely store” and the answer is definitely not “1PB for $12”

1 Like

and
Acting as if you have a right to be a free rider is disappointing
and
I think the word to describe that is “selfish.

this is a forum on how to use rclone, not to criticize individual posters.

with all due respect, your posts directed at other posters, are off-topic.

I am not sure what you are asking here so not sure how to reply.

You can safely store as much data as you want as it's unlimited. That can be 1TB, 50TB or 1PB currently until something changes so that's the current answer to the OP's question.

You have a different opinion on what unlimited means for you and how to use it. You are more than able to share your opinion on what it means and people can make choices on how they decide to use it.

Please just do it in a civil fashion without degrading other folks.

Closing out the topic as it's moving off and the question has been answered sufficiently.