Google Drive Mount: Download event, too many?

I was using PlexDrive for my GDrive mounting purposes for 3-4 years, and it worked fine.... But yesturday I got a "Download quota exceeded" for every file on my google drive, and could not do anything for 24 hours.....

I went though my GSuit and audited my stuff, and there were SO many download events for playing a single episode of a TV show or movie (365+ for half a movie) so I determined that was my ban reason.

So I switched to RClone Mount as I found out its improved since I last used it for a mount for plex, and to avoid as many download events. I'm getting way less download events now, but still not sure if its a safe number, So My question is -How many download events is considered normal for tv show or file (without seeking, I know that re-does the file)

I have one friend who says he only gets 5 per episode, which I can't imagine.

Here's my command
rclone mount -v --syslog --drive-chunk-size=64M --dir-cac-time=168h --poll-interval=1m --buffer-size=64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=2048M --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --drive-skip-gdocs --fast-list gdrive: ~/pdrive

What version of rclone are you running?

That would not be correct though as that's normal. You have a chunk configuration so depending on the size of the and what player you are using, you can get hundreds or a thousand or so events per thing you play as the size of the movie/tv show matter as well.

There is no published number of downloading a file from Google so you really can't guess what a number is. They publish daily quotas per user which is 1 billion API hits and you can download 10TB / 750 upload per user. That's all that published.

He's probably using a large chunk size and you'd have to compare the same player/setup/config.

So I should not be too alarmed by the download events? I'm just confused how I got download banned, as I came NOWHERE close to 10TB...

also, each even is just a chunk downloading, and not an entire file, correct?

Thank you so much for your amazing help!

It depends if you had an old version of rclone.

Anything newer downloads a chunk of the file. There is no way to check how much a chunk counts against your daily download though as it's not published. I've tried to see if I can figure it out before and see how much that one chunk really hits, but there isn't a good way to do it unfortunately and Google doesn't show you that data.

If you check the API console, what do you see in terms of your quota hits per day? Any spikes or something that seems to stick out?

The download quota thing happens to me very rarely, and I can never figure out why. Up until a few days ago, my Plex scheduled tasks included "Upgrade media analysis during maintenance", and I always assumed that's what triggered it, when it actually happened. I did run this schedule for half a year, though, and I've seen this quota notification perhaps twice.

So, I guess my point is, if this happens to you continuously, you have a problem. If it's just every once in a while, I wouldn't worry about it.

It just happened again today... and I really don't know why. I was using PlexDrive mainly for actually playing the files on Plex (as the API Calls it sends is next to nothing) and (Rclone for my back-end) - because back when I started, Rclone Mount always gave API bans (Almost guaranteed) is that not the case anymore? Maybe I'll switch over to that now

Rclone has been perfectly fine to use for a long time now as far as API calls are concerned. Give it a shot to see if it makes a difference for you. I'd recommend keeping the mount command as simple as possible. This is mine:

rclone mount --buffer-size 256M --dir-cache-time 1000h --poll-interval 15s --rc --read-only --timeout 1h -v

Once mounted, I run this:

rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true --fast-list -v

Takes about 2 minutes for me, and after that the mount is fully primed, or "cached" if you will.

Note: Omit the --read-only if you want your mount to be writable.

1 Like

If we're talking pure API calls, rclone configured does way less than plexdrive due to the range requests by rclone rather than the small chunks of plexdrive.

what would be your suggested command?

And should I use the cache mount or --vfs ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.