Google Drive data [13TB] to Dropbox OR External Hard Drive

Takeout does work, but its extremely cumbersome as it gives you everything in a massive archive.
In this case it might be appropriate because it's a mass-transfer of everything, and it might even be faster because it's all one file - but using rclone should be fine, and then you won't have the mess to deal with of trying to unpack a 13TB large archive.... as that can be a logistical nightmare. Where the heck are you supposed to unpack to? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Right, I would prefer rclone over other options all day. In fact, if I weren't on Linux, I'd still use rclone exclusively for my Google Drive operations. It's so flexible and useful- and being CLI it isn't bogged down with option limitations or menu clutter. It's clean and scriptable.

If I were in his situation, I'd rclone all of GDrive to that external drive, then Google Takeout everything else. (I didn't used to do that- I'd let my student & business accounts expire and only take certain things from GDrive, but needing files later that I no longer could access has caused a bit of data hoarder behavior since then)

Sorry for the off-topic discussion, but why would being on Linux be a reason to not use rclone? rclone is native to Linux...

It's the other way around. Rclone is (imo) the best utility/tool available for syncing anything to Google Drive. Linux doesn't have a native (official) Google Drive application. There are many alternatives- rclone, googledriveocamlfuse, odrive, insync, overgrive, etc.

OSX and Windows both have (official) Google Drive Sync programs of some kind. So, in the event that I had to use OSX or Windows, I'd still choose rclone over anything else available.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.