Gdrive - API 403 userRateLimitExceeded

I've been going through hoop after hoop getting gdrive to sync with rclone. Created a brand new gsuite account and as of yesterday I had it functioning, setting up a crypt drive and called the gdrive into it. It uploaded 525GB in about 5 hours...and then it stopped. Therefore this shouldn't be correlated to the 750GB daily cap. I tested via rclone copy using maybe 100MB total before initially running sync, so this total should be more or less applicable to total uploaded.

Running rclone sync, I'm seeing the following error...

Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded, userRateLimitExceeded

I did a little digging and per the google drive man from rclone, it appears that using the default client id can leave to oversatuation of API calls. Therefore I created a custom client id and pass, following the instructions there. I edited these creds into the already existing gdrive within rclone config.

However this did not seem to change the behavior. I can actually see the requests being returned with 403 within the Google API console for the specific custom oAuth client I created above. The number shown should be under scope of the limits, as seen here. It appears the majority of the errors are from "drive.files.insert".

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
rclone v1.36

Any suggestions?

That rclone version is like 4-5 years old.

Please update it as you are most definitely hitting the download quota on that version.

https://rclone.org/install/

Hmm, that would explain the disparity with config deployments I've ran into more than once setting this up. I used apt remove to remove it and then ran through the script install.

rclone v1.50.2
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.13.4

I expected to have to rebuild everything in this process but seems config persisted. However immediately greeted with same error...

Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded

Yeah, you have to wait ~24 hours for your quota to reset.

Ahh, copy that. Anywhere on the Google console that I can confirm this quota?

Nope, they don't show you that anywhere other than the errors you are seeing.

There is a download quota (10TB) and an upload quota (750GB).

The very old versions of rclone counted full downloads even if you only read a few bytes of the file.

It's just a waiting game until the error goes away unfortunately.

Gotcha. Well I really appreciate the info. Struggled through a handful of pitstops trying to get this up (some outside the scope of rclone itself), so its great to finally have the last hiccup alleviated.

In terms of quota, is it a hard reset after 24 hours? Or say if I query something in 20 hours, I then have to wait another 24 hours from that point?

I am pretty sure repeatedly hitting it doesn't do anything to the reset. It's not really documented when exactly it happens.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.