"Forgot" Password or rather, how to guess the password

Hey guys,

I’m using rclone together with my gsuite Account. I do have one encrypted file path gsuite:/rclone_crypt
The problem is I don’t know if I know my password anymore, cause you never have to type the password after you have set in once.

I don’t want to delete my whole encrypted folder by accident (I’m really good on that) The question is, how do I mount my encrypted folder on gdrive without deleting everything by accident while I guess my password, probably needs around 20 tries.

Is this even possible? Or should I just download the 20TB and make a new encrypted folder?
Thank you!

You’d have to keep running through the rclone config and you don’t have to mount it, just run a simple rclone lsd against the remote.

Thank you for the answer! Could you explain a bit further? How do I unmount the remote? cause rclone keeps finding my config and after a “rclone lsd gsuitecrypt:” I don’t have to type in any password and it shows me my folders and data once I go deeper in the directory.

Not sure on windows, but on Linux is just a fusermount -uz /mounteddrivename

I’m not sure what you are trying to do exactly. If you don’t know the password and it’s mounted, are you seeing data or not?

If so, your config is correct.

If you see nothing and your logs should complain about decrypt errors.

If you want to try to figure out the password, you’d run through “rclone config” and edit whatever your remote is called and you can try to guess the password.

Once the password is set in the config file, you can run something like “rclone lsd remotename:”

So my example:

rclone lsd gcrypt:
          -1 2018-06-17 10:24:02        -1 Movies
          -1 2018-06-17 09:16:39        -1 Radarr_Movies
          -1 2017-04-18 16:14:26        -1 TV
          -1 2018-06-30 12:55:49        -1 TV_Ended

That’s the right password.

If it’s wrong you’d see:

rclone lsd gwrong:
2019/02/23 14:50:32 Failed to create file system for "gwrong:": failed to decrypt password: input too short when revealing password - is it obscured?

Yes I “don’t know” the password but the config is correct cause I can see all my data.

If I get this correct, I can just copy an existing remote and edit this one and type in a new password? If the password is correct I can check via “rclone lsd”?

Edit remote
Value “remote” = “gsuite:/rclone_crypt”
Edit? (y/n)>
y) Yes
n) No
y/n> n
Value “filename_encryption” = “standard”
Edit? (y/n)>
y) Yes
n) No
y/n> n
Value “directory_name_encryption” = “true”
Edit? (y/n)>
y) Yes
n) No
y/n> n
Value “password” = “XXXX”
Edit? (y/n)>
y) Yes
n) No
y/n> y
Password or pass phrase for encryption.
y) Yes type in my own password
g) Generate random password
y/g> y
Enter the password:
password:

If you have physical access to the config file, you can just copy / paste it somewhere else or copy the whole file.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.