Flags for best result during copy and rclone mount and encrypt

I need to copy about 17TB (my plex library) from one gdrive to another. I figured i would use Rclone but i don’t really know which combinations of flags would yield the most stable transfer. Any advice? Also should i use copy or sync?

I also was thinking of converting my current colo server from windows to nix so i could use rclone mount with my plex server. Right now i use windows + netdrive2 to mount my gdrive but the performance is hit and miss in the sense that people tell me that they get a lot of “This media is not available” messages and stuff takes sometimes up to a minute or more to start playing. The server is located in Frankfurt. I know the mount feature is still experimental but from what i have been reading it seems pretty stable and there seems to be many different mount configurations people use.

My other question is currently the data that i need to move is not encrypted on the current gdrive. Should i encrypt it while copying it to the new gdrive and how does this affect plex? If i stay on windows + netdrive2, I’m guessing i will not be able to see the content since it is encrypted and wont be able to use plex? Im also affraid encryption my add a level of complexity to my already complex setup that i maybe dont need. I already have a seedbox that send the files via rclone to gdrive and then to avoid getting locked out of gdrive because of plex library updates, i send a script to my windows server with the plexscanner.exe command to update only the file i just sent to gdrive and i have disabled all auto plex library updates. Any advice on this…

For copying I use
rclone copy /storage/media-local/ acdcrypt: --no-traverse --transfers=100 --checkers=100 --min-age 15m --log-file=$LOGFILE
Play around with transfers/checkers eg whats the lowest amount you can set to keep the best speed.
And use copy and once you feel you have tons of stuff on destination that can be deleted eg you deleted it from source as well then run sync. ( sync is copy + delete files on destination that are missing on source )

In the long run you should encrypt as you never know when clould provider will go mental and delete or ban account with illegal content. With rclone its same comand for copy you will just set your crypt remote instead of normal one.

If you would like to keep your home Windows Plex setup you can, just install Virtual box with small alpine linux + samba share so your windows client will see all unencrypted data.

I made short guide how can you set it up
https://github.com/ajkis/scripts/issues/2

1 Like

Thanks for that :). Another question is when you have to replace a file, will are rclone be able to replace it even if it is encrypted? im guessing that on Gdrive the file will have a name with random characters. Cuz sometimes it will happen that i have to replace file with a better quality and right now i use rclone copy to send to gdrive and this would change to rclone copy without encryption and then another rclone sync between both gdrives with encryption.

I guess for the mount command i will look through what is posted in the best mount settings for plex thread.

rclone will overwrite any existing file with same name. The only problem you may encounter with duplicate files is when for example your original file is Movie Name (year).mp4 and upgraded version is .mkv

There is a nice script that will check for all possible duplicates on your drive.
Its using guess it and check hashes of video names so it will find all those duplicates even if you same movie named: Movie Title (year) , Movie title - (Year) , Movie title Year - xxy etc...
https://github.com/l3uddz/dupeFinder

1 Like

im trying to understand how do you work with encryption and get plex to read your media from your gdrive. and also can you do this on windows + netdrive or must i move to nix to accomplish this?

You can do it on windows with Virtual Linux server running that will mount rclone crypt drive and share it with samba so you can access it with windows. You do not need netdrive for it.

Ok, so run plex on windows and use a vm for mounting. Also I was reading a thread about the encfs vs rclone crypt…is there one better than the other? I know rclone you add it to the command to encrypt but how do you use encfs with

Just stick with crypt, @ncw is still on the job of improving it.
ENCFS is much more complicated and will do tons of disk IO’s when you encrypt files, you will also not be able to use some of rclone features like filters etc… Beside crypt mount optimization the only thing that is really missing is hash support.

gotcha…

Now i need to see if i can install a vm on this shared colo server…last time i tried , it didnt work because the os was already in a vm.

By any chance have you ever tried to put the plex data folder in the cloud and junction/symlink it to the local disk? I might have to shop for a new hosting (maybe soyoustart or some other ovh ) but my plex data folder is 64GB so finding something SSD with decent disk space for around 32USD isnt easy.

Also how is your plex scan time with your library in the cloud?

No dont install it on VM I thought you have your own Windows server if you are renting then reinstall to Ubuntu 16.04

i have both…but this is for the renting. but i need to modify the plex media path in the DB to reflect nix path because i dont want to rescan everything into my library…it will take days…

So crypt is the way to go I was reading the thread that was about the compare of the 2 back in October and it seemed that encfs did a better job. But im guessing there has been improvements since those post. I just want to get this right the first time since I have alot of data to encrypt.

I moved from encfs to crypt and I’m having a much better experience, less disk io so faster performance

what is your use case? because without that information, your statement is mostly meaningless

I’m using rclone for both crypt and mount connecting to ACD. Server is in France so using eu-west.
I couldn’t upload more than 50MB/s with encfs and now I’m getting 110MB/s.
Transcoding is also much smoother, I get 55MB/s for a single file copy from rclone ACD crypt.
What else would you like to know?