Files currently in tmp_upload_path no longer show up in mount. Bug?

Thank you! Just have a follow up question to @ncw and others. Given that the original author of cache is not available, would you generally advise against its use? To me, cache seemed like the simplest "infinite storage" setup, esp. with "wait before upload" feature, which helps keep recent files local. However, I'm worried about its fate. Is there an alternative almost-no-maintenance infinite storage setup with rclone that doesn't involve too many other tools?

I used mergerfs to link my local folder and cloud folder instead of cache before doing an rclone move.

Ah, am I understanding correctly that you have scripted a periodic move similar to @Animosity022's approach from here? And then you only rely on vfs buffering instead of caching?

I am planning on adding the delayed upload feature to the VFS layer: https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/3186 - this is needed to fix some issues with the VFS layer and might be enough for your uses. This isn't exactly a wait before upload feature, but it could easily be - fancy adding that to the issue? Maybe you could describe the exact feature in the cache backend on the issue that you'd like to have?

As for the cache backend - it is in "maintenance" mode at the moment. I don't understand the code well enough to make big changes, and to be honest, I've got too much other code to maintain! I'll fix it up and keep it working, but I'd really like to get another maintainer for it as there are quite a few niggly bugs in it which I haven't been able to fix.

The VFS layer works well for rclone mount but doesn't work for sync/copy etc. Maybe what I'll do is create a new cache backend which uses the VFS layer - that would be quite straight forward and would unify the two nicely.

Done. I hope the comment is clear enough, but feel free to reword any part of it. I don't know if you have edit rights on the comments, if anything just let me know what to clarify. :slight_smile:

Doesn't introducing upload queues fix it?

The unfortunate reality of accepting big code contributions.

Yes, though I havenā€™t setup a periodic move yet. Iā€™ve done an initial rclone move will probably only move when I run out of local space.

Iā€™ve tried lots of different cache parameters but always got buffering and just setting vfs-cache-mode-writes has completed eliminated that for me.

Mergerfs is much more reliable than cache-tmp-upload because Iā€™ve had items get stuck and uploading doesnā€™t resume after unmounting and remounting the folder.

That's a great tip, thanks. :+1: I guess my plan is gonna be to keep trying my luck with cache remote until the queue feature comes out, then switch to your setup + queued uploads.

Funny, in the short time I've played with cache remote I've already run into this. In my case it was because B2 had partial files started but interrupted. The solution was:

1. Remove partial files from B2 directly.
  2. Move files from tmp upload path back to the mounted cache to trick it into reuploading. :joy:
1 Like

Thank you - great comment :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.