Fastest way to live-sync using rclone

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I want to create a sync system between newly available Proton Drive and my local filesystem. However, since it's very new, it's only barely supported by rclone (I'm lucky to be on Tumbleweed because rclone in my other distros don't support it), and it doesn't have a sync client for Linux yet.

I've considered 3 options:

1. mount the whole drive using rclone and work always online, but that's slow and sluggish and requires constant Internet connection;
  2. mount drive and sync the folders I need using the tool unison. But my testing shows that it can take a very long time for the software to browse for changes... Even though when the scanning is done it's pretty fast for the correct/copy;
  3. use rclone bisync. But it's advertized to be in testing and not very stable, and anyways I have the same problem that I have with unison, it's very slow to browse for changes...

So if anyone has a better idea how to do that ("that" being setting up a sync system where when I change/add/remove something either on the computer or the drive, the change propagates to the other side immediately — or at least, fast, like, under a minute delay), please help!

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.64.2

• os/version: opensuse-tumbleweed (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.5.9-1-default (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/versiorclone v1.64.2
  • os/version: opensuse-tumbleweed (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.5.9-1-default (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.21.3
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none
    n: go1.21.3
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

That's the latest version of rclone.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

I'm using Proton Drive's cloud storage solution.

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

'rclone config redacted' gives:

[proton]
type = protondrive
username = my.username
password = XXX
mailbox_password = XXX
client_uid = XXX
client_access_token = XXX
client_refresh_token = XXX
client_salted_key_pass = XXX
replace_existing_draft = true
### Double check the config for sensitive info before posting publicly

Have a look a this thread:

In general proton drive + bisync means you are almost beta tester. Which is great but do not expect that things will work 100% today.

If this is your requirement then forget rclone - this is not the right tool. Have a look a things like syncthing etc.

I know Syncthing, it's a great tool, but of no help here, since I can't install it on Proton Drive nor sync two folders on the same machine.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.