Failure to connect to remote (SFTP-configured) server with SSH

Hi,

I’m using v1.36. I’ve configured a SFTP remote to my remote Mac mini, specifying (passwordless) SSH.

I’m trying to connect to my remote Mac mini (macOS Sierra 10.12.1) from my laptop (macOS Sierra 10.12.3).

It fails with this message:

howardm$ rclone lsd Macmini: 2017/03/19 20:50:59 Failed to create file system for "Macmini:": couldn't connect ssh: ssh: handshake failed: ssh: unable to authenticate, attempted methods [none publickey], no supported methods remain

I can, obviously, connect to it otherwise via SSH in the usual way.

Is there anything I should try to troubleshoot this problem ?

Thanks.

Howard

Check this issue - it could be related: https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/1218

Thanks.

I’ve just successfully used the following method, which involves starting, and then killing, a ssh-agent:

1. ssh-add -K path/to/my_key [needed once only]
  2. Use the following bash script for my scheduled backup:

Howard

2 Likes

Hello @howardm, @ncw,

Thanks for your posts, helped put me on the correct path here.

For the record, using Devuan jessie 1.0.0 LTS (systemd-free Debian jessie fork) the necessary commands before using rclone were:

eval `ssh-agent`
ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa

That, of course, after the ‘traditional’ (as in, ‘not even sftp will work without it’) steps of creating and transferring the public/private key pair on the machine and user running the rclone client, and transferring the public key on the rclone SSH remote.

Cheers,

Durval.