Failure to access Backblaze

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

After years of use rclone has stop accessing B2, with the following message.
[root@freenas] ~# rclone ls B2B:614charles
2021/10/02 20:11:26 Failed to create file system for "B2B:614charles": failed to authorize account: failed to authenticate: Get "https://api.backblazeb2.com/b2api/v1/b2_authorize_account": x509: certificate signed by unknown authority
[root@freenas] ~#
I have update the version of rclone on the system from 1.38 to 1.56.2. I also tried creating new remote (B2B) using a new authorization key from Backblaze this also did not work. As a test I setup rclone on a Mint 20.1 system and using the saming Backblaze authorization keys I can access Backblaze, so I know there is no issue with the Backblaze account...

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

[root@freenas] /# rclone version
rclone v1.56.2

• os/version: freebsd 10.3-stable (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.3-stable (amd64)
  • os/type: freebsd
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.16.8
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Backblaze (B2)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone ls B2B:614charles
 or 
/usr/sbin/rclone sync -v  --transfers 16  /mnt/master/RAID5/Music-Master/ B2B:614charles/Music-Master/ >> /root/backup-stuff/b2-master-backup.txt 2>&1

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[B2B]
type = b2
account = 
key = 
endpoint =

A log from the command with the -vv flag

rclone -vv ls B2B:614charles
2021/10/02 19:36:21 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.56.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "ls" "B2B:614charles"]
2021/10/02 19:36:21 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "B2B:614charles"
2021/10/02 19:36:21 DEBUG : Using config file from "/root/.rclone.conf"
2021/10/02 19:36:21 Failed to create file system for "B2B:614charles": failed to authorize account: failed to authenticate: Get "https://api.backblazeb2.com/b2api/v1/b2_authorize_account": x509: certificate signed by unknown authority

That seems to be a local issue with your install as I'd guess some root certificates are missing which would give that error.

You might want to update your FreeNas as that seems to be a pretty old version.

Checking the backblaze URL, they seem to be using a LetsEncrypt certificate which had the root certificate expire (on one chain) on 30th September (Help thread for DST Root CA X3 expiration (September 2021) - Help - Let's Encrypt Community Support).

Your best bet is to either update the OS to a newer version (as suggested by @Animosity022) or at a minimum update the OS SSL certificates package.

That explains my problem. I had sneaky idea, that was problem due to it failed on 1-Oct. I just was not sure on how to verify it. So again thank you...Presently looking at several options for my NAS. Have been putting that off since the old hardware does not meet the minimum configuration for the new version of TrueNAS, but I guess the time is has come....

There are some general hints in the FAQ about certificates which you might find helpful. This isn't exactly your scenario but it is similar.

Just to add, there has been a lot of discussion about this on reddit. See this post for a good breakdown from Backblaze Execs but there are others.

It is, as have been said, related to a certificate expiring and older OSs with the older certificate definitions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.