Encrypted gdrive directory renamed

hi there,
in the last few weeks I am facing a weird issue mounting an encrypted gdrive archive with rclone.

Here is my rclone version:

rclone v1.57.0

  • os/version: debian 10.11 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

and I am using OpenMediaVault 5 (debian) as OS.

When I access the mounted drive I see that some of the directory names are not the names that I gave them, but they are like C9G3LM~T, C98ASR~1, CA29LV~8.

Funny things:
1 the directory content is ok, the file names are correct and the file content is ok
2 almost always these directories that were "renamed" in this funny way have not been modified (not the name, not the file they contain) in any way for a long time.

I cannot figure out what is happening, and what I do is that I rename back this scrambled dir names.

Any idea why this is happening?

The command I use to mount

/usr/bin/mount gdriveEncrypted:/ /gdrive -t rclone -o allow-non-empty,config=/rclone/cfg/rclone.conf,buffer-size=100M,umask=000,stats=0,allow-other,use-mmap,retries=5,vfs-cache-mode=minimal,log-level=ERROR,log-file=/rclone/log/GDriveEncrypted.log

My rclone.conf

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id = 
client_secret = 
token = {"access_token":".....","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"....","expiry":"2021-12-18T08:52:04.67605984+01:00"}
root_folder_id = ......

[gdriveEncrypted]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive:/encrypted
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = ...
password2 = ...

Without a log file to look at, there, unfortunately, isn't much to do.

Perhaps you had a program do something odd? If the encryption mapping still is good, then something renamed it.

hi,

not sure what is going on but i noticed a pattern with the dir names.

  1. length = 8 alphanumeric characters
  2. the 7th character = tilde ~
    and that is something seen on older versions of dos/windows.

does the output the same with rclone lsd look the same?

dir /x

<DIR>                       data
<DIR>                       inetpub
<DIR>                       Intel
<DIR>                       PerfLogs
<DIR>          PROGRA~1     Program Files
<DIR>          PROGRA~2     Program Files (x86)
<DIR>                       Users
<DIR>                       VeeamFLR
<DIR>          VEEAMR~1     VeeamRepository
<DIR>                       Windows
<DIR>                       zork

Is any Windows involved? The version is Linux on the output.

  • the current command is run on linux, but we do know where the flies originated from.

  • if the dir names were renamed to random characters, that would be easier to accept.
    in this case, there is a pattern and i pointed that i recognized the pattern

  • we have set of dirs that, the OP claims, have not been modified in any way for a long time.

  • without a debug log or rclone ls, we know nothing about the filenames themselves, which would be a hint to what os was used when they were created. perhaps linux, perhaps windows or .....

That was more for the OP as that can rule things / rule things out.

i was making a simple point, strange that multiple directories, that have not been modified, in any way for a long time, would magically get renamed to a very specific pattern and in this case, a pattern that i recognized.

Why do you think I'm annoyed? I was just clarifying the comment was for the OP.

If the OP can confirm there is Windows involved, your theory makes sense as it's a good find.

hi there,
files and dir structures are created in linux environment, using a mix of java and shell scripts, accessed using smb from windows and android devices.
the renamed directories contain archived files that are seldomly accessed, i am the only user.
i can provide rclone logs, bu i do not exactly when this happened so i do not know if i still have the log of the moment(s) when this happened.

  • are all the renamed dirs in the same root dir?
  • about C9G3LM, C98ASR, CA29LV, seems very specific, not at all random.
    do you have any script that uses such a pattern or other dirs that start with such a pattern?
  • would be easier to test using rclone lsd of the root dir containing the renamed dir(s)

i think you were right, i found another dir like that (F6JRA8~P) using samba from windows, i checked it on the linux machine on the mount and with rclone lsd and the name there is absolutely correct.
I noticed that the original directory name contains a ":" character... maybe this is what does not allow the window machine to show the name and it translates it that way

yeah, that is it, samba mangling names with a colon into 8.3 names

did a quick internet search, seems this is a known issue with a simple workaround.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/299130/samba-how-to-display-files-with-colon-in-their-names

http://evren-yurtesen.blogspot.com/2017/04/how-to-access-files-with-colon-in.html

1 Like

you are a genius, it works!
now i see the original name, cannot access the contents from samba in windows but the dir name is correct!
thanks a lot

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.