Duplicate files when contain special characters

I am doing two copies from GD to my Windows laptop and vice versa. For certain files (it seems to only happen in the root directory) I get duplicates. Some examples:

Screenshot (Sep 14, 2019 9:26:33 AM)
Screenshot (Sep 14, 2019 9_26_33 AM)

My Rewards Account Activity Summary | XSport Fitness
My Rewards Account Activity Summary _ XSport Fitness

Additionally, I get extra spaces when the filename has a URL:
https://google.com/_/Retrieve/0/c-/Ob7qxyIkbzcLaXqoWolWyA__?FILE__=WEBHTML.pdf

I suspect that is from the slashes.

How do I keep these files from being duplicated with a slightly different name?

My commands are:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-386\rclone" copy GD:\ "C:\Users\micha\Google Drive" --exclude "/Backups/**" --exclude "/Google Photos/**"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-386\rclone" copy "C:\Users\micha\Google Drive" GD:\

you did not post the version of windows?
tho it might not be the source of the problem,
but are you sure you need to run the 32bit version, instead of 64bit?

It is Windows 10 Pro. I guess I could run the 64 bit version, but would that matter with this issue?

i do not think it is the cause of the issue.

Those don't seem to be duplicates though as they are two separate files.

You'd want to track down an upload and test with a file with a single file copy up and copy back to see what's going on if a character is being replaced.

I am having a hard time reproducing it. I added underscores and | to some files but it didn't happen. I do know I didn't create those files. Windows doesn't even allow the creation of a filename with a colon when I try. I guess I'll just watch to see if it happens again.

Those characters are replaced ones depending on where you synced to and from.

I truly feel sorry for Windows guys on some days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. So it seems like I probably created those files on a non-Windows machine and the disallowed characters were translated when synced to Windows.

I guess I just need to watch for those special characters more. In all these cases they were files automatically named (mostly from screenshots or printing from the browser).

When in doubt, it's always a Windows issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I am still getting a lot of duplicate files and it isn't related to special characters as far as I can tell. Here is an example of what I am seeing:

I am basically getting a new file every sync for some reason.

It is odd in that it doesn't happen to all files. For example, I have doc1.xls and doc1.gsheet. They are the same but one is excel format and the other Gsheets. The Google has like 17 copies and the Excel doesn't have any copies.

Are you syncing only from drive to local? Or do you (or anything) sync the other way too?

I do the same command twice reversing source/destination.

Ah, that explains it. I don't think rclone is working as it should though.

Can you paste the output of rclone lsf on that directory so I can see if I can replicate?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.