Dropbox API Issue - failed to open source: not an encrypted file - bad magic string (Response/Header Issue)

--multi-thread-streams 0 will work around for rclone copy/sync/move

For mount there isn't an easy workaround unfortunately.

1 Like

Don't hijack this post please.

1 Like

Not an easy workaround or no workaround at all?

Imaggine I reinstalled plex server with database of 30k movies and lost about 6 hours trying to solve, almost reinstalled complete OS, because i tought its up to plex, at last second i found this errors in rclone log.

We could put a little pressure here :point_down:

I personally have more than 10,000 customers without service right now.:smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear:

I guess it is not only you who is affected, as this bug seems to break embedded videos as well :see_no_evil:

in their webui?

I posted (and asked for help) with a valid workaround but that wasn't welcomed... better just wait it out

No, but on websites in general which use videos stored on dropbox - apparently the bug breaks video playback as the content type reported by the backend is wrong as well.

1 Like

Guess what, thats what we mentioned in a discussion with DB before we made a Advacaned plan. All good during the Testing Stage, as soon as we paid for a whole year the issues began. Nice. Perhaps we should have stayed with Google.

This is probably the first dropbox issue I've seen in ~18 months so I'll happily stay here and wait for them to fix it.

3 Likes

4 years without problems here :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

is true we are paying for a service and why not but let's be real what we are doing and the way we are using their service isn't exactly legal so just keep ur head down and be thankful and most importantly don't abuse it otherwise we going to be back to how google drive is nowadays.

Even though rclone is a serious piece of software, it's somewhat shortsighted to place blame with Dropbox.

Dropbox doesn't have any responsibility to support third-party software; yes, there should have been a better check on API implementations, but that's secondary. If you're using Dropbox with the core first-party utilities (paper, website upload, official clients), those items either work flawlessly or are fixed very quickly.

Customers paying for enterprise level storage (and using rclone to back-up media files, which I would argue is the main customer base, by several magnitudes) would know that they're not really paying for the enterprise side of the storage, but just the actual storage space itself.

Since you did pay for the plan, haven't you considered putting in a complaint and getting a discount on your service? If you get your money back, and you're actually an enterprise level customer, your insurance/risk management should be able to kick in and pay out for any differential that Dropbox won't cover. If it's to a criminal level, take Dropbox to court.

Since this problem is now clearly identified as a Dropbox-side issue, it makes sense to lock the thread and let mods/devs update the thread when this problem has been rectified.

1 Like

Apparently there is an error with the dropbox api. I've already tested it on several linux servers, windows, with a business and personal account, I've also tried it on other systems that use the dropbox api, such as raidrive, and the error is always the same.
It is possible to view the files, but in the montage it is not possible to view photos or play videos.
Also doesn't work with the rclone serve http option

Anyone else with the same kind of problem?

yes issue has been identified and reported to dropbox as it seems this an issue in their end. apparently they are working on a fix as we speak but there is no eta as to when it doing to be fixed. check this sites to satay in the loop.

Wow, even vimeo is affected :scream:

1 Like

i wonder who is getting fired today, lol.

I just wanted to say thank you to @ncw and the rest of the rclone forum leaders and members for quick diagnosis, repro, and report to Dropbox that prompted them to investigate and work to address this.

4 Likes