Does rclone needs to download files to my current machine to upload it to the other service? Or all is done in the clouds (remotely)?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

QUESTION
Does rclone needs to download files to my current machine from source cloud to upload it to the destination cloud? Or all is done remotely in the clouds (No files downloaded to my machine)?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.22621.1105 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive
Google Drive School
iCloud
OneDrive
OneDrive Buisness

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

these 4 commands:
from GPhotos to HUJI:
`rclone sync -i GPhotos: HUJI:Rclone\GooglePhotos`
from GPrivate to HUJI:
`rclone sync -i GPrivate: HUJI:Rclone\RclonePrivate`
from OneDrivePrivate to HUJI:
`rclone sync -i OneDrivePersonal: HUJI:Rclone\OneDrive`
from Technoto HUJI:
`rclone sync -i Techno: HUJI:Rclone\TechnoClone`

Nothing is 'downloaded' but depending on what remote is what, it will use your machine's internet bandwidth generally.

With some flows, in the same cloud provider, you can server side copy things which doesn't use any local bandwidth, but depends as not sure what remote is what in your commands since you didn't include that.

I am syncing from "Google Drive Personal and One Drive Personal and One Drive Business " each source to "Google Drive Business" remote destination.
What do you mean by

not sure what remote is what in your commands since you didn't include that.

How do I check my remote? and the things you need to help me?

It's in the template that you deleted sections of.

If you are going to different providers like Google to Microsoft, you use your local machine's bandwidth.

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

Sorry, I deleted them. As I don't how to get these files :3.
How can I export The rclone config contents with secrets removed. ?

What do you mean I use my local machine bandwidth? The internet bandwidth (For this I don't care)? Or the storage of my computer to move the files from a cloud to another?

I mean it uses the local bandwidth / network /internet of the machine to copy the files.

The rclone.conf is a text file.

rclone config file

shows the location and you can just read the file / paste it in while removing the keys/secrets, but unless you get deeper questions, just ignore it for now.

So the files moves directly from cloud service to other using my internet bandwidth?
Am I correct?

Yes, that's what I am saying.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.