Does local path crypt mount experience same limitations described in documention?

I know it’s possible to define a crypt remote as a local path. When it’s mounted, does it still experience the same limitations described in the rclone mount documentation? In other words, say I have a crypt remote defined as a local path located at /home/danemacmillan/encrypted, and then I mount it at /home/danemacmillan/unencrypted, will these limitation still apply:

[rclone mount] can only write files seqentially, it can only seek when reading. This means that many applications won’t work with their files on an rclone mount.

If it does experience these limitations, could this be overcome by using --vfs-cache-mode full?

If it does not experience these limitations, or if they can be overcome using the VFS cache, does that mean that filesystem events will be triggered, so I could hook into them with utilities like fswatch?

rclone makes no distinction between local and remote mounts so the same limitations will apply, but…

[rclone mount] can only write files seqentially, it can only seek when reading. This means that many applications won’t work with their files on an rclone mount.

This is no longer true… If you use --vfs-cache-mode writes or --vfs-cache-mode full it will overcome that. I’ll update the docs! Check out the file caching section of the docs if you want to know more.

If FUSE filesystems trigger file system events then it will work. I don’t know whether they do or not though - suggest you give it a try and report back :slight_smile: