Do I use local bandwidth when transferring remote to remote?

I'm really liking rclone. Great tool!

I'm trying to move 300GB from a Google Drive to a different user's Google Team Drive. I've made a client ID, which is that of a third user. I read somewhere that it doesn't matter who set up the client ID.

I have a couple of questions. The first is why my speeds aren't great. I was hoping for faster. Does it use my local bandwidth when transferring from one remote drive to another remote drive? I assumed not.

Transferred:   	   74.335M / 144.333 GBytes, 0%, 634.110 kBytes/s, ETA 66h15m51s
Errors:                 0
Checks:               407 / 407, 100%
Transferred:          111 / 6271, 2%
Elapsed time:        2m0s

The second question relates to how I'm controlling it. I'm using a Mac laptop to ssh to a headless Ubuntu box that runs 24/7 under my stairs. It seems that while that ssh session is live the files continue transferring but they stop when I close my laptop and break the ssh session. I assumed that the transfers would keep going but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does the ssh session need to be open?

The command that I'm currently using to transfer files is this:

rclone copy -v --transfers 10 --checkers 10 google_julian: Archive1:

Although I've tried others and got the same result.

Advice appreciated!

What version are you using?

rclone v1.48.0
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.12.6

I think you want:

--drive-server-side-across-configs

Also, google limits to ~10 transactions per second so 10 transfers and 10 checkers is ~20 and going to make things super slow with retries as well.

Did you setup your own client ID / API key?

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

Thank you. I've gone from 500Kbyte/s to 50Mbyte/s. Thanks for you help. I assume it was the --drive-server-side-across-configs setting.

Can you answer my second question, namely why the transfers stop when I close my laptop, despite rclone running on a Ubuntu box? See above for more detail.

Sorry as I completely missed the second question when reading through it.

You can do that a few ways.

Something like screen or tmux:

or you can hit control-z to pause it and than bg %1

[felix@gemini ~]$ rclone ls gcrypt: --fast-list
^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 rclone ls gcrypt: --fast-list
[felix@gemini ~]$ bg
[1]+ rclone ls gcrypt: --fast-list &

and it will be going in the background:

felix    23814     1  8 15:25 ?        00:00:00 rclone ls gcrypt: --fast-list
felix    24151 23864  0 15:25 pts/1    00:00:00 grep rclone

Thank you. I think the bg %1 solution is working. Let me try it again later.