Daily backup of linux server to Google or Amazon

I’ve got a Linux (Ubuntu) server that I use as a network drive for all the devices in my home. It has documents, pictures, videos, etc…

I am trying to figure out two things:

• Does RClone work better with Google Drive, Amazon S3, or Amazon Drive?
  • Which service is the best if I only want it to sync changed/new files and delete the deleted ones?
  • Will any of them let me have “revisions” so I can see how a file/folder changed over time?
  • Google Drive doesn’t have a 2 TB plan so I’d have to have two separate accounts with 1 TB each. Could I configure Rclone to backup different folders to different accounts?

I had a 2nd server at an offsite location and I have a script that does an rsync from my machine to the other. Of course it only copied changed/new files. Since the destination was also a Linux box my script would use hard links to make “revision” backups so I could see how a file/folder changed over time. I don’t need this functionality but it would be nice to have.

If it matters, the first sync will be about 1 TB worth of data.

Does RClone work better with Google Drive, Amazon S3, or Amazon Drive?
Works great with all of them

Which service is the best if I only want it to sync changed/new files and delete the deleted ones?
Google Drive or Amazon Cloud Drive

Will any of them let me have “revisions” so I can see how a file/folder changed over time?
Google Does, don’t think Amazon does.

Google Drive doesn’t have a 2 TB plan so I’d have to have two separate accounts with 1 TB each. Could I configure Rclone to backup different folders to different accounts?
Yep you can have multiple “remotes” from the same server, use a cron job to send whatever data to which ever remote

It works well with all of them. In my opinion S3 is the most reliable and highest performance of those. It is also the most expensive!

It doesn’t matter.

Google Drive stores revisions.

I’m planning an rclone backup command which will store revisions explicitly too.

You can emulate this in a script by using rclone copy oldbackup newbackup to use server side copies to make a complete copy of your old backup, then rclone sync local newbackup to make the new backup. (Make sure you use the latest rclone beta if you want to try this with ACD)

You can have multiple remotes (as rclone calls them) so use multiple drive accounts.

You could then rclone copy dir1 drive1:dir1 and rclone copy dir2 drive2:dir2 with a bit of manual scripting, or you could using includes and excludes.

This is very similar to what I’m planning with the rclone backup command.