Crypt to crypt sync

Is there any concern to syncing a remote crypt to another remote crypt without decrypting the data?

Currently, I am mirroring my encrypted data from Amazon Cloud Drive to my Google Drive. I do this in a Digital Ocean VM and get amazing speeds. However, I do not want to give the VM my decryption keys. So, I just do a straight non-crypt copy. On another trusted machine, I can decrypt the encrypted data on both Google Drive and Amazon.

Would there be any concern for data corruption in this case? So far, I have not had any problems.

Example:

Digital Ocean VM

[acd]
type = amazon cloud drive

[gd]
type = drive

rclone sync acd:/root gd:/root

Trusted machine

[acd]
type = amazon cloud drive

[acd_decrypted]
type = crypt
remote = acd:root

[gd]
type = drive

[gd_decrypted]
type = crypt
remote = gd:root

That should work absolutely fine. You’ll need the same encryption modes set up for the _decrypted remotes, but I expect you know that already.

Excellent. Thanks Nick! I haven’t had any problems, but wanted to make sure there wasn’t any sort of metadata specific to the cloud driver. It looks like you’ve designed this very well.

:smile:

rclone is designed to keep all the state in the cloud other than what is in the config file. You can take that config file anywhere and rclone should work the same.

The contents of the config file are very easy to reconstruct using the rclone config process answering questions the same way you did the first time.

1 Like