Crypt Tb of data already uploaded on GSuite

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have a GSuite remote with several Terabytes of data, I would like to encrypt that data using rclone, which is the best approach to do that? Is there any considerations to account for?

Thanks

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.2

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu Server 20.04 64bits

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

Easiest way is to sign up for Google Cloud, rent a free server, setup Rclone on there and copy. The Google Cloud website says which service is free (f1 micro I think). The only thing to be wary of is the 750 GB daily upload limit, might take a few days/weeks if you have lots of encrypt

I really don't understand...

Should I create a totally new encrypted remote and upload the whole thing again, or can I encrypt data already uploaded?

Only way for rclone to encrypt the data is to download, encrypt and upload the encrypted copy. Google Drive does not support encrypting on their side.

1 Like

you can get a free/cheap virtual machine from google, install rclone in that vm.

google does not charge ingrees/egrees fees is all the data resides inside google system.

Yeah, but the daily 750Gb cap is still there, right?

from what i have read:
yes, the cap is there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.