Crypt Folder Backblaze not working

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hello everyone,

I use a Mac M2 and I have rclone installed. Fuse is also active on the Mac.

I would like to integrate my S3 storage from Backblaze via Rclone.

I have created two remotes. One "normal" and one encrypted. I created the subfolder in the bucket beforehand.

Now to my problem. The crypt folder is not encrypted. When I move files to it, they can be read normally, even if I am logged in directly to Backblaze. With Cyberduck I can also access the bucket and see everything as normal and not encrypted.

If we have solved this problem then I would ask someone to show me how I can mount this in MacOS M2.

Enclosed is my config.

many thanks for the help

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

yes

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Backblaze B2

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

Paste config here

[backblaze]
type = b2
account = xxx
key = xxx

[b2encrypted]
type = crypt
remote = backblaze:rclone-b2-unraid-jb:/myencryptedstuff
password = xxx

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

How do you move files into it?

I have created a folder within the folder via Cyberduck and I have a docker container with which I can look into my bucket and I have uploaded a file via this gui.

Your question implies that this is wrong. I hope not because I would like to be able to simply drag and drop files in later with a mounted drive.

Of course I would also like to move large amounts of data to it as a backup that would then run via cron job.

I do not know what Cyberduck is... never mind.

But yes I am sure you are doing something wrong - at it is very basic:) but we have to figure it out.

Which folder? Can you post some screenshot if description is difficult?

Which bucket? which folder? Can you be precise? What is "this gui"?

I can not see your screen:) So vague terms do not work:)

i mean the gui of the docker container i use but let's leave the container out of it i also accessed it with cyberduck and see the folder that should actually be encrypted and can copy things into it without them being encrypted.

With Backblaze you have to create buckets which is a S3 storage and you can see the name of the bucket in the config.

How you created it?

I think you simply create folder in backblaze:rclone-b2-unraid-jb:/myencryptedstuff using your tools. Which is wrong.

To access encrypted data you have to use rclone and your crypt remote - b2encrypted. It is overlay over real bucket and folder - backblaze:rclone-b2-unraid-jb:/myencryptedstuff

Create folder:

rclone mkdir b2encrypted:test

copy some data into

rclone copy . b2encrypted:test

Check if there:

rclone ls b2encrypted:test

You never touch backblaze:rclone-b2-unraid-jb:/myencryptedstuff - unless curious to see what is there.

ok i will try it.

edit:

so now i got a error

rclone mkdir b2encrypted:test

2023/11/24 09:13:45 Failed to create file system for "b2encrypted:test": failed to make remote "backblaze:rclone-b2-unraid-jb:/myencryptedstuff" to wrap: you must use bucket "rclone-b2-unraid-jb" with this application key

In your config:

It has a typo, change it to:

remote = backblaze:rclone-b2-unraid-jb/myencryptedstuff

I assume you have rclone-b2-unraid-jb bucket with myencryptedstuff folder in it.

oh thank you. the creation of the folder seems to work with the command. i was unsure how to specify it exactly. because of the bucket name there were so many instructions on the internet that said you have to put another colon.

but i have now tried the ls command as you wrote. no error but also no output

no output as nothing there probably....

copy some files to this folder then use ls to check.

The key is- always use b2encrypted: rclone crypt remote

Not some B2 folder directly.

thank you. i created a testfile and copy it inside. when i want to use another machine i only need to copy my config ist that correct?

and can you help me to mount the encrypted folder? but i cant drag and drop files is that correct? i always need to use the cli?

Yes. I would suggest make a backup of your rclone.config file - it contains keys to your secrets:)

No - you do not have to use cli - it is only one way.

To mount (and then enjoy drag and drop etc.) simply run:

rclone mount b2encrypted: /path/to/mountPoint

As you are on macOS install https://www.fuse-t.org/ (it is my choice) or https://osxfuse.github.io/ first. More details in docs - rclone mount

I would also recommend always use VFS cache:

rclone mount b2encrypted: /path/to/mountPoint --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 10Gi

thank you. what is the difference between fuse-t and macfuse? (I already installed macfuse)

when i use the command with the additional flags the terminal hangs and the mount folder disappears and i have to use sudo. is that because im using macfuse? what do these flags do?

Read mount documentation - rclone mount

All explained here - https://www.fuse-t.org/

Also you can Google more details.

I can not see your monitor.... and no time for guessing games.

If you have an issue with mount I suggest you open new issue - and provide all details you are asked by the Help and Support template.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.