Creating Union on windows - "local" files not updating in union

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm trying to create a union in Windows for a friend (I use mergerfs and linux/unraid usually). I've managed to create the remotes, and the union when mounted shows existing files from the two locations.

However, new files added to the first remote (local) in the union are not appearing immediately in the union and only show up when I unmount and remount.

I'm unfamiliar with rclone in Windows so I'm probably doing something dumb.
Help please!!

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.56.2

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 2009 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.19042.1288 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.16.8
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount friend_vfs: "C:\temp\rclone_mount" --dir-cache-time 5000h --attr-timeout 5000h --log-level INFO --poll-interval 10s --cache-dir="C:\temp\rclone_cache\friend_vfs" --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --drive-pacer-burst 1000 --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 20G --vfs-cache-max-age 96h --vfs-read-ahead 2G

rclone mount friend_union: "C:\temp\rclone_union" --dir-cache-time 5000h --attr-timeout 5000h --log-level INFO --cache-dir="C:\temp\rclone_cache\friend_union" --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --drive-pacer-burst 1000 --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 20G --vfs-cache-max-age 96h --vfs-read-ahead 2G 

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[friend]
type = drive
client_id = xxxxxxx
client_secret = xxxxxxxxxxx
scope = drive
server_side_across_configs = true
token = {"access_token":"xxxxxxxxxx","expiry":"2021-10-27T13:08:32.8357639+01:00"}
team_drive = xxxxxxxxxxxx
root_folder_id = 

[friend_vfs]
type = crypt
remote = friend:crypt
password = xxxxxxxxxxxxx
password2 = xxxxxxxxxxxx
server_side_across_configs = true

[friend_union]
type = union
upstreams = "C:\local" friend_vfs:
action_policy = all
create_policy = ff
search_policy = ff

If you shared a log file, you can see it's not a polling remote as that's in the debug log.

So that means it takes 5000 hours till the dir cache times out.

Example log:

2021/10/27 07:47:36 DEBUG : union root '': actionPolicy = *policy.EpAll, createPolicy = *policy.EpMfs, searchPolicy = *policy.FF
2021/10/27 07:47:36 INFO  : union root '': poll-interval is not supported by this remote
2021/10/27 07:47:36 DEBUG : union root '': Mounting on "/home/felix/union"
2021/10/27 07:47:36 DEBUG : : Root:

Thanks for the reply. So, is there a way for the union to spot immediately changes in its remotes?

No, it's not polling.

Only way to run a small cache time or trigger a rc command on changes but you have to define that as to when a change is made.

ok thanks - I think I'll look into running mergerfs on windows to see if that's possible

@ncw
Can union theoretically pass thru polling when all base remotes are polling or at least when all base remotes share common backend type?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.