Cloud provider SLAs and termination conditions?

Howdy,

While googling for “cloud SLA”, I found this very interesting comment on YCombinator News; relevant part refering to Amazon Cloud Drive:

“We may terminate the Agreement or restrict, suspend or terminate your use of the Service at our discretion without notice at any time, including if we determine that your use violates the Agreement, is improper, substantially exceeds or differs from normal use by other users, or otherwise involves fraud or misuse of the Service or harms our interests or those of another user of the Service.”

I checked and this almost exact text is on the current Amazon’s Cloud Drive Terms of Use.

This seems pretty arbitrary… I just hope Amazon doesn’t decide that my use “substantially exceeds or differs from normal use by other users” after I’ve spent the needed time and effort to upload the many TBs I’m planning on storing there… :-/

OTOH, the above comment also quotes other cloud provider TOUs and most seem pretty arbitrary on the termination conditions… basically they can terminate your account and deepsix your data for any reason whatsoever.

Is anyone else worried about that, or worse, found yourself in the wrong end of such a TOU restriction/suspension/termination?

Cheers,

Durval.

I think you’ll find any cloud provider has terms like that - it is legal CYA.

I’ve had helpful dialog directly with Amazon about rclone usage in general and about them increasing internal resource limits for rclone users, but I’ve never heard from any rclone users that have been banned. So I’d say the signs are good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Nick. So my uploading continues! :wink: I will report back if I hit any “difficulties”.

1 Like

Hi Durval I have two accounts with Amazon. I have used the three month trial they offer, and I have uploaded something between 5-6 TB each. I have decided not to continue with a paid plan. However, after one years, I cannot upload new stuff (of course!), but the files are still online. So I woun’t worry about deletion, unless, you are planning to upload something over 10TB? Regards!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. So half a dozen terabytes seem OK… I’m at ~3TB right now and counting, let’s see how this works out.

Cheers,

Durval.