Chtimes Error On Local Mounted Copy

Hi @ncw , is there an ETA on the v1.53? Is there a better place to get such dates/news?

I usually set a date on the milestone in GitHub, but I decided not to this release just to remove a bit of pressure in difficult times.

We are on the slippery slope to the release. Expect it before the end of the month.

rclone v1.53.1, os/arch: linux/amd64, go version: go1.15

Sorry for necroing this thread. I have found it as I am also having the same issue that the original poster flagged, i.e. rclone giving error on chtimes.

I read through the forum and everything thing seemed similar up to the point of the touch example.
What I get is as follows:

rclone touch -vv Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd
2020/10/04 09:21:24 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.53.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "touch" "-vv" "Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd"]
2020/10/04 09:21:24 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "Calibre/app/bin/"
2020/10/04 09:21:24 NOTICE: Config file "/var/services/homes/Polo/.config/rclone/rclone.conf" not found - using defaults
2020/10/04 09:21:25 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "Calibre/app/bin/" to be canonical "/volume1/Calibre/app/bin"
2020/10/04 09:21:25 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 1 errors and: touch: couldn't set mod time: chtimes /volume1/Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd: operation not permitted
2020/10/04 09:21:25 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 1 errors and: touch: couldn't set mod time: chtimes /volume1/Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd: operation not permitted
2020/10/04 09:21:25 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 1 errors and: touch: couldn't set mod time: chtimes /volume1/Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd: operation not permitted
2020/10/04 09:21:25 DEBUG : 2 go routines active
2020/10/04 09:21:25 Failed to touch: touch: couldn't set mod time: chtimes /volume1/Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd: operation not permitted

While with unix touch I get

touch Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd

No error message

Below also the results from the ls -l & id

ls -l Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Polo users 11264 Oct 4 09:19 Calibre/app/bin/crypto.Hash._SHA224.pyd
id
uid=1056(Polo) gid=120(users) groups=120(users),121(administrators)

And I have no problems with a simple copy.

Do you have any suggestions on what is going wrong with rclone?

If it helps I appear to encounter the same issue with rsync -a "failed to set time on...." and when ignoring time it fails on setting permissions. No problems with rsync -r

Thank you

If you read through the thread above you'll see that this is probably caused by a race condtion between CIFS changing the attributes and rclone setting the modification time.

I don't think there is a solution to this in rclone, but there is a work-around now - you can try this flag (or set it in the local: backend).

--local-no-set-modtime             Disable setting modtime

Thank you - I have just used that flag which does provide a workaround.
What I found confusing was that for unix touch gave an error to the original poster while it works for me which made me doubt the problem was the actually the same.

Great!

It is a confusing problem certainly, and I'm not sure of the exact reason why it happens. It probably can be fixed with some config in samba...

This also solves the issue I was having restoring backups from google drive. Without the --local-no-set-modtime option, I had copy the files locally first, then transfer them to the NAS. Now with --local-no-set-modtime, I can set the rclone destination directory to the NAS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.