Changing crypt password, rclone move? Couple questions

A bit new to rclone so bear with me…

If I use rclone move to move data from one ACD crypt to another, am I mistaken in assuming it downloads the data locally then reuploads it, sequentially? (amazon cloud drive)

Long story short, I need to change my crypt passphrase and I have a bunch of data I’ve already uploaded (much more data than actual hard drive space I currently have), so I’m looking for the most effective way to do this. I assume that since the data is already encrypted there’s no way to do this without some kind of download/unencyption + reencryption/upload?

If anyone could let me know any command line args to make this process more effective (timeout, concurrent uploads) etc that would be great. Should I be using --no-traverse? Also, I do notice that when smaller files are involved I do get a lot of 429 “too many requests” errors when uploading normally.

Also, is it fine to change the name of my crypt remote just by renaming it? For example I have acd: and acd:crypt as my encrypted remote. If I rename crypt to crypt2 and edit .rclone.conf, this wont break anything?

Correct, changing the password would mean renecrypting and reuploading everything.

Iam running the script bellow to reencrypt my current lib from encfs to crypt in cron tab.
crontab -e
* * * * * /home/plex/scripts/acd2crypt.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

#!/bin/bash
if pidof -o %PPID -x “acd2crypt.sh”; then
exit 1
fi
scriptstart=$(date +’%s’)
echo “$(date “+%d.%m.%Y %T”) ACD2CRYPT STARTED” | tee -a “/var/log/acd2crypt.log”

/usr/bin/rclone copy /storage/acd/ acdcrypt: -c --no-traverse --no-update-modtime --transfers=30 --checkers=30 --min-age 180m --log-file=/var/log/acd2crypt.log
echo “$TSTAMP ACD2CRYPT END in $(($(date +’%s’) - $scriptstart)) seconds” | tee -a “/var/log/acd2crypt.log”
exit 0

Basically the script is running once per minute and automatically exiting if its already in progress.
The min age 3h is there as iam still uploading new stuff to encfs library and once i have whole lib converted I will do 1x sync and 1x check to make sure files are the same.

Changing names in .rclone.conf wont break anything.

Thanks!

Can I use rclone move from one external remote to another? For example if I do:

rclone move foo: bar:

Will it move the foo: crypt on my amazon drive temporarily to my computer then to bar:, without downloading the entirety of foo: at once? I assume that if lets say it’s set the default of 4 transfers, it will download and decrypt those 4 files from foo: and then reencrypt/upload to bar then proceed with the next 4 files?

I have to transfer a few terabytes of data but I don’t currently have that hard drive space available to me at the moment.

1 Like

You dont need any disk space, however files will be downloaded and uploaded in stream, eg no disk space usage only memory.

1 Like