Can't get synatx correct for spaced source directories

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have created the FamilyMedia clone and it ran once. Since then I have created a Music clone and added some other syntax to that cloning line. Today, I tried to run the Family Media one with the same logging syntax but it won't run. I am "sure" it has to do with the source directory having a space in it but I can't get it right. If I do not surround the source in double quotes I get a message saying I have 3 arguments when I should only have two. If I surround with quotes, I get a message saying I supplied one argument and I need two.

This is the syntax I am using
rclone copy "Z:\Media\Family Media" FamilyMedia:/ --log-file=U:\Rclonelogs\FamilyMedia-rclonelog.txt --log-level INFO

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1909 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.18363.900 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.2
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: cmount
YES

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy "Z:\Media\Family Media\" FamilyMedia:/ --log-file=U:\Rclonelogs\FamilyMedia-rclonelog.txt --log-level INFO

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Sorry, I do not know where that lives.  If needed, point me to it's location and I will retrieve it.

A log from the command with the -vv flag

No log created

Does removing the trailing backslash help?

rclone copy "Z:\Media\Family Media" FamilyMedia:/ ...

1 Like

Yes, that did. It is odd because For my Music one
rclone copy Z:\Media\Music\ Music:/ --log-file=U:\Rclonelogs\Music-rclonelog.txt --log-level INFO

The backslash is there.

Thank you for the assistance

Great. The difference is the quote. The backslash path separator is also an escape character that changes the meaning of the quote.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.