Cannot locate OSXFUSE. But it's installed

A friend of mine is trying to mount a Google Drive access on OSX Catalina. Latest rclone (1.53.3), latest OSXfuse (macFUSE 4.04 from https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/releases).

The mount commandline terminal instruction leaves this in the log:

2020/12/03 18:34:16 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: cannot locate OSXFUSE

Is there a reason why rclone does not "see" the installation? The machine was rebooted after installing OSXfuse.

If you fill out the help template and include versions and such, it makes answering these things much faster as we don't have to ask the questions already in the template.

Sorry, I edited the versions in the original message.

Mount command is:

rclone mount gDrive: $HOME/bin/Drive_Locale --rc --allow-other --tpslimit 10 --cache-dir iTunes/rCloneCache --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 300G --vfs-cache-max-age 72h --dir-cache-time 960h --poll-interval 15s --log-level INFO --config ~/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --log-file=$HOME/rclone.log --timeout 1h

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Mount does not work, claiming OSXfuse cannot be located. But it is installed.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

OSX Catalina 10.15.7

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount gDrive: $HOME/bin/Drive_Locale --rc --allow-other --tpslimit 10 --cache-dir iTunes/rCloneCache --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 300G --vfs-cache-max-age 72h --dir-cache-time 960h --poll-interval 15s --log-level INFO --config ~/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --log-file=$HOME/rclone.log --timeout 1h

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[gDrive]
type = drive
client_id = removed
client_secret = removed
scope = drive
token = {"access_token":"removed","expiry":"2020-12-03T19:52:55.185338+01:00"}

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2020/12/03 19:32:40 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "gDrive:"
2020/12/03 19:32:40 DEBUG : Using config file from "/Users/FRIEND/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/12/03 19:32:40 INFO  : Starting HTTP transaction limiter: max 10 transactions/s with burst 1
2020/12/03 19:32:40 DEBUG : Google drive root '': root_folder_id = "REMOVED" - save this in the config to speed up startup
2020/12/03 19:32:41 DEBUG : vfs cache: root is "iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDrive"
2020/12/03 19:32:41 DEBUG : vfs cache: metadata root is "iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDrive"
2020/12/03 19:32:41 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDrive
2020/12/03 19:32:41 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDrive" to be canonical "/Users/FRIEND/iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDrive"
2020/12/03 19:32:41 DEBUG : fs cache: switching user supplied name "iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDriveBiz" for canonical name "/Users/FRIEND/iTunes/rCloneCache/vfs/gDrive"
2020/12/03 19:32:41 NOTICE: macOS users: please try "rclone cmount" as it will be the default in v1.54
2020/12/03 19:32:41 INFO  : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 0 (was 0) in use 0, to upload 0, uploading 0, total size 0 (was 0)
2020/12/03 19:32:41 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Mounting on "/Users/FRIEND/bin/Drive_Locale"
2020/12/03 19:32:41 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: cannot locate OSXFUSE

The -vv flag is nowhere to be found, I opted for debug loglevel.

Please try cmount instead of mount and see if that works.

Can confirm that cmount works with the latest MacFuse but mount doesn't anymore.

Yes, I can confirm.

Funny thing is we did notice that message "please try rclone cmount" but since I'm on Windows and I hadn't heard of cmount before, by reading the message I thought it was a new upcoming feature, already working in 1.53.3. Not being familiar with it, I said "let's try making it work with normal settings, we'll look into cmount later".

Our experience is mount does not work and cmount does. Which makes the message kind of misleading, I would say.

Just FYI, cmount has been the default mount in Windows for quite a while now. It's just aliased to mount there which is probably why you haven't ever used it as cmount there.

This breakage was a recent change due to the new release of MacFuse whereas this message has been present in rclone for a few months now. Older versions of OSXFuse will still continue to work with both mount and cmount.

It's up to @ncw whether this necessitates a new major release since putting this kind of change in a minor release like 1.53.4 doesn't seem right to me.

If ncw doesn't want to come out with a release just for this, a couple of lines at the beginning of this page could save headaches to people: https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/

The reason I could not find any trace of cmount in the documentation is what prompted me to avoid it on first installation for my friend.

Oh...

Hmm, changing mounting systems in a point release seems like a change too far.

The the latest beta will do the right thing as will rclone cmount.

Maybe a warning on rclone mount - or change the wording of the NOTICE?

Another good idea...

I just installed the latest beta and can confirm that it works now on Mac OS X (Catalina). Prior to this, I got the error Cannot locate OSXFuse. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.