Can you reorganize local files and do the same on the rclone remote crypt without losing sync?

Lets say I moved 2TB worth of data that exists on local storage to a different subfolder.
I do the same thing on the rclone remote crypt to match the new location.
Will the sync remain so the data doesn't need to be re-uploaded in order to reorganize?

hello and welcome to the forum,

that should work.
tho not sure you need to move files in the remote.

what matters is the new rclone copy/sync/move command,
have the source point to that different subfolder on local.

and always test using --dry-run,
and if possible a debug log --log-level=DEBUG --log-file=/path/to/rclone.log

It's not a move of the parent folder to a new location locally, there is reorganization of subfolders within the parent folder that is being synced to the rclone remote crypt.
Technically I'm transferring from a local path to a remote crypt of an alias pointing to a local path on another drive.
What I'm seeing is a re-transfer of the reorganized data, because the paths now differ between the source and destination. I'm not encrypting folder / filenames, but data only, so everything has a .bin extension and is identifiable on the remote end.
I can do my own test in the future, but wanted to ask the community of the expected behavior of manually reorganizing the paths on the remote side to match the local side before running the sync again.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

docker exec -it rclonecontainer rclone sync --progress '/data/OMV_Backup' '16TBBackup01crypt:/OMV_Backup' --exclude-from '/scripts/excludelist.txt' --log-file /logs/rcloneOMV_Backup_localcrypt.log

Next time I will rerun with the parameters you suggest to see the result.
Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.