Can I just delete cached files?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

No problem just something I don't understand.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.62.2

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.22621.1413 Build 22621.1413.1413 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.20.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: cmount

Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads
-->
yes

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Gdrive

Question:

so normally I work with --vfs-cache-mode full in order to copy and read files. Unfortunately I found out that rclone stores the files in a cache which is accessible for everyone who has access to the system which is, in my eyes, a security risk. So my question is: Can I prevent rclone storing stuff on my HDD without having a bad performance when mounting a crypt?

Can I just delete the folders which are in the cache directory?

Edit: Got 2 crypts and 1 remote. 1 remote as gdrive, 1 crypt as gdrive crypt and 1 local crypt which I use for syncing with my Gdrive crypt. local crypt because it has better beformance when mounting.

Feel free to cache the non crypted mount and just mount crypt on top.

You can, but you lose any data you had to upload and any cached data.

And one point here, it's locked down the user running it, not everyone.

How do I do that and what does it archive?

I don't get this. I've already synced my lokal crypt with my crypt so why are still data in the cache?

rclone mount noncryptremote: with cache
rclone mount cryptremote pointing to the one above.

The only thing cached is the crypted contents.

Sorry as no idea what you mean. I'm saying if you using full mode and you have files to be uploaded, deleting the cache loses data. I am not sure exactly your use case and if you are using it. I'm just telling you if you are, you lose data. Deleting the cache without knowing what's in there would be bad to me and I wouldn't do it but it's your choice at the end.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.