--cache-plex-url not showing up in logs

When I used to use an rclone cache mount I would get a notification in the log every time it detected a file was opened by the plex server, however now that I switched to a vfs mount and use --cache-plex-url --cache-plex-username and --cache-plex-password I don’t get those same notifications with the-v flag …how can I tell if it’s working and rclone is reading from my plex server correctly?

That only works with the cache backend and not without it so if you aren’t using the cache backend, you can remove that from your mount command / config.

ah I use vfs-cache So I guess that’s why?

You mean you are using “–vfs-cache-mode” ?

Yes, although --vfs-cache-mode is off but I have --vfs-read-chunk-size and --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit set which I guess means --vfs-cache-mode is on? It’s a little counter intuitive

They are different settings and don’t really go together per se.

All these settings relate back to vfs-cache-mode:

--cache-dir string                   Directory rclone will use for caching.
--vfs-cache-max-age duration         Max age of objects in the cache. (default 1h0m0s)
--vfs-cache-mode string              Cache mode off|minimal|writes|full (default "off")
--vfs-cache-poll-interval duration   Interval to poll the cache for stale objects. (default 1m0s)
--vfs-cache-max-size int             Max total size of objects in the cache. (default off)

If it’s off, you can ignore them all as they aren’t used.

The general VFS backend does chunked reading as opposed to getting a full file each time. How much it asks for depends on these settings:

--vfs-read-chunk-size SizeSuffix         Read the source objects in chunks. (default 128M)
 --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit SizeSuffix   If greater than --vfs-read-chunk-size, double the chunk size after each chunk read, until the limit is reached. 'off' is unlimited. (default off)

If you have no options set, it’ll grab files in 128M chunks and double that on sequential reading at intervals.

The reason folks got download quota errors before was if you wanted say a 10GB file and plex opened it 5 times, that’s 50GB of download for that file. With chunked reading it would only get portions based on what the chunk size is.

None of that applies to the cache backend as it’s got its own chunk reading mechanism and that’s where the plex integration ties into.

All of the options are kind of conusing to be honest. So what you are saying is a normal rclone mount uses vfs “chunked reading” by default and the --vfs-cache options tweak that?

so is --cache-db-path and --cache-chunk-path associated with -vfs-cache or with a configured rclone cache? Same with--cache-db-purge

The cache backends are all listed here:

https://rclone.org/cache/#standard-options

All the cache options you mention go with the cache backend.

The standard vfs options are listed here:

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#options

What does “Options inherited from parent commands” mean? Because the plex options are on that page which implies to me that the plex options also apply to the rclone mount

Sorry for all the questions

These would be the standard VFS options:

The second picture is all the options that can be used based on what backend is used and all the other potential commands / flags for rclone.