Cache folder Question

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Cache dir dosnt increase.
I configure cache but whan I go to cache folder i see it is 148K.
If i cofigure --vfs-cache-mode=full instead of --vfs-cache-mode=writes the cache folder increase the volume downloading all file I an asking for, but on --vfs-cache-mode=writes dosnt. Why?.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 18.04

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount test:/ /home/ubuntu/media/test/ --log-level INFO --log-file=/home/ubuntu/media/log/test-log.txt --allow-other --fast-list --tpslimit=7 --buffer-size=128M --cache-dir=/home/ubuntu/media/rclonecache --dir-cache-time=48h --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=off --vfs-cache-max-age=45m --vfs-cache-mode=writes

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

You'd want to share your rclone.conf and a debug log file as that will have the answer to your question.

rclone.conf

[test]
type = drive
scope = drive
token = ****
root_folder_id = *****

log file is empty I dont know why.

Thanks

You'd want to restart it with log level debug and share that log.

If you post the full command and output from what you are running, we can probably figure out why it doesn't have a log.

Hello This is the log.

test5-log.txt (224.7 KB)

The full command :

rclone mount tests:/ /home/ubuntu/media/0Pruebas5/ --log-level DEBUG --log-file=/home/ubuntu/media/log/test5-log.txt --allow-other --fast-list --tpslimit=7 --buffer-size=128M --cache-dir=/home/ubuntu/media/rclonecache --dir-cache-time=48h --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=off --vfs-cache-max-age=45m --vfs-cache-mode=writes

Thanks.

In your log, it's only reading the file and not writing anything so nothing would be stored locally for that file.

You can see the read lines in the debug log:

2021/02/05 16:30:47 DEBUG : Prueba.mkv: >Open: fh=&{Prueba.mkv (r)}, err=<nil>
2021/02/05 16:30:47 DEBUG : &{Prueba.mkv (r)}: Read: len=65536, offset=0
2021/02/05 16:30:47 DEBUG : Prueba.mkv: ChunkedReader.openRange at 0 length 67108864
2021/02/05 16:30:48 DEBUG : Prueba.mkv: ChunkedReader.Read at 0 length 4096 chunkOffset 0 chunkSize 67108864

If you write to a file, it would be stored locally.

Perhaps you want to use cache-mode full if you want to store files being read locally.

Hello,
So, if I want the file will be read localy instead from cloud I must define cache-mode full?.

Now, with my config system, I read the file from cloud directly?, and what is the diference using cache-mode write (I use now) and not use cache-mode?

I try not to make many asks to cloud.

LOT of Thanks.

It is really up to what you want to happen:

has the differences between the modes.

I use full as I want reads to be cached locally and it helps for streaming purposes. Depending on your use case, pick the mode that works best.

Ok, understand all.
But one problem if I use full is if I use plex, during scaning all files will be start download.... it is so? or not?.

Lot of thanks.

Sure, not sure why that's a problem though as that is just how Plex works.

Excuse me, I thinning.. If I use cache write this other flags do something?, or not?.

vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=off --vfs-cache-max-age=45m

Thanks.

Best to run defaults unless you have a reason to change something.

The link above has all those items documented in it.

I'd remove that as the defaults are fine.

This depends on what you want. This means an item stays in the cache for 45 minutes. If you are using writes, that's only when you write a file. If you full mode, it's for reading and writing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.