Buffering on Direct Play

Do you know of a way to visualize the cache and the access point of the cache. I want to see if it is slowing down and the video is catching up or if something else is going on. I have increased the workers to 8 and the size to 20M but am still getting the buffering. I even increased it to 40M and still getting it.

The only thing that comes to mind if you can either the running verbose log, and/or observe the actual chunking folder to get an idea of how much data you have in stock on a given file. Just keep smashing F5 and you should see those sizes change as it works :slight_smile:

Several advanced video-players could also give you a hard number for the on-system buffer they have filled up. That's not the same as the cache-backend obviously, but you can still get some idea of what's happening with that end of the system by seeing how the players memory-cache fills up. You may not have this option though.

I don't know if maybe part of the problem may be how the cache reacts to a file-close. I don't remember/know if it will finish a chunk segment it has already started downloading or cancel it. If it is the latter - then that could be an issue.

I wish I had a simpler and cleaner solution to offer you :confused:

Quick update for anyone who has a similar issue. After trying numerous cache settings, I couldn't get it to work. I am not sure if it is my low end NAS or something else. In an effort to try and cause different open/close behavior I tried different versions of samba (didn't go low as 1), but it didn't provide the change in behavior I was hoping. Instead I went into all my player's settings and disabled direct play and reverted all my rclone settings back to the original config and mounting options. Everything is working perfectly, from movies to music. Thank you @Animosity022 and @thestigma for all your help. I am not sure why this took so long to come to me, seems like an easy solution, but all your suggestions eventually lead me to here and I appreciate it!

In my attempt to find a solution I did find out you can add rclone to the Nvidia Shield directly, if you root it. I am hoping that would provide a different open/close behavior since it is not going over a smb share. I may end up going this route if my current working solution starts having issue, but so far the behavior is excellent and was very simple.

That might be possible... putting it directly on the shield that is.
What is it based on, android?

I know that there are already a couple of android apps that let you install rclone. I haven't gotten the time to play around with these much yet, but I absolutely plan to run these on all my main android devices to they can access all my cloud storage as well :slight_smile: I've heard they function pretty well.

One example that I've been keeping my eyes on...

I would presume that it is possible to get this (and similar apps) to work on any android-based system, at least as long as you can choose to install unsigned APK's. On most phones this does not even require rooting. I don't know to which extend Nvidia shield is very customized - it may require some sort of re-packaging, but definitely something to investigate :slight_smile:

This (and many other) threads discuss some of the specifics of running general android apps on shield:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/195992/can-nvidia-shield-console-run-normal-android-apps-android-tv-google-play-store-is-a-ghost-town-/
And to me it seems like it should be very doable - with a little fiddling - but not anything super difficult.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.