Box.com / put: error uploading: failed to make directory: Error "item_name_in_use" (409): Item with the same name already exists

Hello all, having a weird issue with a subset of files - looking for some direction to troubleshoot. TINY snippet of a large number of errors (rclone copy windows -> box.com)

UPDATE: this is actually windows -> cache -> box.com - will attempt to purge cache to see if that’s an issue

as you can see by the filenames these clearly are not folders, is this a path depth issue on windows?

and yes the filename does exist on box, no clue why it wants to make it a folder

thanks

2018/11/02 22:33:54 ERROR : XXXXXXXXXXX/XXXX_XXXXXX/2015-2016 Projects/2016 Projects/XXXXXXX_FAR_Project X/_Assets/FARX_XXR iVA PSDs/FARX_XXR iVA PSDs 052616/FAR_Design/_output/XXXXXXX_IVA_0006_Volume_Depletion.jpg: put: error uploading: failed to make directory: Error “item_name_in_use” (409): Item with the same name already exists

2018/11/02 22:33:54 ERROR : XXXXXXXXXXX/FAR_FARXIGA/2015-2016 Projects/2016 Projects/XXXXXXX_FAR_Project X/_Assets/FARX_XXR iVA PSDs/FARX_XXR iVA PSDs 052616/FAR_Design/_output/XXXXXXX_IVA_0006_Volume_Depletion.jpg: Failed to copy: failed to make directory: Error “item_name_in_use” (409): Item with the same name already exists

Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind is case sensitive vs insensitve directory names. That shouldn’t cause a problem though…

Did you maybe rename the case in a directory from “HELLO” to “Hello” or something like that?

1 Like

TL:DR that was the answer:

SO here is more info, preliminary testing:

the 2nd Level in that path is in fact Combo Lower/Upper case on Box but now seems as all upper case in rclone - and is all upper case on the NTFS Folder - I renamed it to All UPPER CASE and everything is moving along fine after deleting cache for sanity sake. Some of the folders only have 1 letter in a different case.

all I can think of is that previously maybe this folder was backed up with rclone on a mac (from a SMB share) and now running locally on the windows server where this lives and this caused some disconnect.

(don’t get me started on users in this current year naming folders with LEADING AND TRAILING SPACES for god’s sake)

probably should be a low priority feature request maybe some kind of option for normalizing case or something, not sure

thanks again

:smile:

rclone does normalise case in the sync routines so this should work. It clearly doesn’t though so there is a problem with it!

I think the problem here is that cache remote is declaring it is case sensitive so when it wraps the box.com remote rclone now things box.com is case sensitive so it isn’t doing the normalising of case it should be.

Can you please make a new issue on github about this and at least we’ll have a note of the problem even if we can’t come up with a fix!