Best Rclone box configuration for speed and reliability

Hello,

I use box 1.51 and box on ubuntu 18.04.
I read/write/delete many small files with a size around 2MB to 5 MB.
I don't modify it.
I have encounter some error :

RWFileHandle.Release error: failed to find cache file: object not found

or

Couldn't decode error response: invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value
pacer: low level retry 1/1 (error Error "502 Bad Gateway" (502))
Received error: Error "502 Bad Gateway" (502) - low level retry 1/10

or many, many of this at another moment

Failed to set modification time of cached file: chtimes /media/box/cache/vfs/box/XXX/xxx: no such file or directory

Actually my mount configuration is :
rclone mount -vv --no-modtime --tpslimit 4 --write-back-cache --config=/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --vfs-cache-mode full --syslog --vfs-cache-max-age 96h0m0s --vfs-cache-max-size 3000M --cache-dir /media/box/cache box:/

-vv : for debug log
--no-modtime : To try to prevent the last error of modification time
--tpslimit 4 : Because it is the limit of BOX
--write-back-cache : I see it improve performance
--config : to specify the config file path
--vfs-cache-mode full : for reliability
--syslog : to push log in syslog
--vfs-cache-max-age 96h0m0s : To file in cache as long as possible, maybe I can put a bigger value. The real limited factor is the --vfs-cache-max-size in my case.
--vfs-cache-max-size 3000M : Max free space available on my server for RCLONE cache
--cache-dir : To specify cache directory

Do I use correctly all parameters or I make a mistake on some of them ? (Don't forget my use case, many small file and no edit of them only read, write and delete.
How can I improve that to avoid any possible error ?

Thank you very much for your help. :wink:

Those settings look pretty good and very similar to the ones I use to serve beta.rclone.org.

I think if you are using --vfs-cache-mode full then you should probably check out this thread and try the latest beta posted there which should work much better.

Could you confirm " --no-modtime" and " --write-back-cache" are usefull ?

I don't really understand what they do.
I have reduce --vfs-cache-max-age to 0h10m0s because I don't have any error with that and I prefer ensure to not mix too much data between cache and box.
I put -v instead -vv, it is perfect with much more readable log.

In 3 of 10 server I encounter this error : Failed to set modification time of cached file: chtimes /media/box/cache/vfs/box/XXX/xxx: no such file or directory

Do you have any idea from the reason ?

Thank you, I will try the beta, do I use new parameter with it ?

I see you automate the renew of jwt token in rclone 1.5.2 for box, how does it work ? Is there a parameter ?

--no-modtime is probably not useful here. It is a performance enhancer for S3 and swift backends which have to do more work to fetch the modtime.

I'm not sure how much good write back cache does. I don't use it myself.

Not sure what causes that. It may be fixed in the VFS beta

Your old parameters should work fine.

That should just work in the background

Thank you for your time ncw, it is a real plaisure to exchange with you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.