Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

I have switched mounts, and am now running a scan on my movies and waiting to see if i get hit by the ban hammer…

Hi !

Plexdrive seems very nice, thanks for the work @dweidenfeld
I’ve tried it for a day, and then I’ve switch from node-gdrive-fuse to plexdrive but now I think…

I’ve get banned :frowning:
[PLEXDRIVE] [2017-05-10 21:36] WARNING: Wrong status code &{403 Forbidden

Checking on google drive web app:

Edit: I’m running V2.0, 1849 movies or tv show were scanned.

I have not been banned yet, but am expecting to be… as i have about 2000 movies and if the movies don’t ban me the TV Library probably will when I scan that.

I think the big issue is the plex scanner as it reads each of the files and so google sees each read as a download and bans based on this. so until plex can provide the scanner they use for plex cloud we could be a bit stuffed. (and from my plex experience we should not hold our breath for that…)

Did you check your API calls? I don’t think plexdrive really generates many at all and would be surprised from what I’ve seen if plexdrive was the cause of the ban. My API are insanely down to almost nothing since switching over.

The 24h ban isn’t for API calls the ban is for downloading files, analyzing and reading the files, actually fetching the file from a google server

@MartinBowling - Don’t those show up as API hits for file.gets, which you can see?

nope. they dont. They aren’t api calls.

Maybe a wording thing. How do you download a file through the API if you never make a call to the API to get the file? Does that mean it just isn’t logged in the API Dashboard?

I have gig up/down and scanned about 30TB over a few days. I can’t imagine I’m just that lucky.

The call to get the url/location is an API call. Once you have that you can just download it without going through the API. If you cache that address to that file then you never really need to call the API again. That is how the caching works in that it caches the metadata and locations of the files and uses that to get them.

How are you scanning them? with plex? through what method? rclone mount? node fuse? plexdrive?

1 Like

For my first scan of roughly 27TB, it was done via ocamlfuse/rclone crypt mount running at about 500-600Mbs over night. I did my scan over 2 nights for my Movies/TV respectively.

I’ve been testing plexdrive, but since the scans are done, it’s just checking the timestamps on the files so it’s just a metadata check.

It is definitly not API calls.

I agree with this:

It is the way Plex downloads the file multiple times to build the library. This exceeds the download quota if files are not cached.
I had a script running, moving lots of files with rclone in the same time of plex scaning the plexdrive mounted folder. It may be that which trigged the ban.

That happen with rclone.
That does not happen with node-gdrive-fuse
That does not happen with google-drive-ocamlfuse

That should not happen with plexdrive.

As I have several gogle drive accounts, I can scan and rescan to test, without be disturbed by the ban, for testing purpose.

Yeah, it doesn’t with Plexdrive. I just had Plex scan 1,879+ movies and 20,071 TV episodes with no issue, there’s most likely something else going on in @RolluS case that’s eating API calls.

1 Like

Just for terminology again.

ocaml doesn’t cache any files, but it does cache the metadata for the files with stream_large_files on.

Specifically, I thought it had to do with rclone grabbing file information which looks like downloads for GD since it does not cache any of the metadata.

plexdrive does locally cache files, which is very different from ocamlfuse.

Thank you @East and @Animosity022

1 Like

For some reason I just can’t get crypt to work. Would you mind sharing a step-by-step on which remotes you have in your rclone config, and what to mount with rclone (I think our setups are pretty similar; gdrive remote with a second encrypted remote? I feel like I’m missing just a tiny bit of into :slight_smile:

EDIT: Fixed. Apparently this wasn’t a good thing to try at 1am. Fixed in 5 minutes in the morning :slight_smile:

I managed to get plexdrive set up and then rclone crypt mounted on top, but I can’t get any large files to play. TV shows work fine, but movies are hit or miss. I get no errors in the log for rclone or plexdrive, and can download the files just fine through Plex.

edit: Since I switched the library from rclone mount + crypt to plexdrive + rclone crypt, I had to reanalyze everything in the library and now all items play normally.

Sorry I was afk for a few days. Glad to hear that!

I get the following message when I write:
sudo plexdrive -fuse -options allow_other -log-level 3 /mnt/plexdrive

unknown shorthand flag: ‘f’ in -fuse

What am I doing wrong?

Not sure why you want -fuse
have you tried:
plexdrive -v 3 -o allow_other /mnt/plexdrive

Thank You. Thant works.

Can you tell me, how can I do an automatically mount at the start of the VPS after a reboot?