Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

Oh wow great thanks! I’ll take a look!

Edit: I followed your link to your scripts and i had already stared your repo from before! :slight_smile:

Hey,

Forgive me, as I feel like a total idiot right now…but how do I actually install this release? I followed the directions, created a .plexdrive directory, created a config file, have fuse installed, and downloaded the release…but now what? The release is the amd64 one, but it’s not an archive, not a directory, and doesn’t seem to be executable. I tried to unzip, to use tar, but neither worked. I even tried just typing the full name of the file ./plexdrive-linux-amd64 and it just said permission denied. What am I doing wrong?

You need to make it executable

chmod u+x plexdrive-linux-amd64

I personally moved it to “plexdrive”.

1 Like

Is anybody else getting a metric crapload of errors with plexdrive + crypt?

2017/05/06 03:04:43 ERROR : SomeFile: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: read SomeFile2: input/output error
2017/05/06 03:04:45 ERROR : SomeFile: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: read SomeFile2: input/output error

./plexdrive-linux-amd64 -fuse-options allow_other -log-level 3 /home/cloud-crypt/
rclone mount --allow-other --stats=0 --quiet blah:/ /home/cloud-plain

[blah]
type = crypt
remote = /home/cloud-crypt
filename_encryption = standard
password = a
password2 = b

Doesn’t seem all that safe if you have crypted with rclone, I mean it plays fine but it’s erroring pretty hard…

The file you downloaded is actually the program itself… nothing to install. You do have to make it executable like @Animosity022 said but then you just run it by either the full path/filename (eg. /home/myusername/plexdrive) or put it in your path somewhere and just call it by its name (eg. plexdrive).

1 Like

Thanks guys - I knew it was something simple…

So I gave plexdrive a whirl and dweidenfeld is my hero. It took around 10 hours from start to finish for it to get around 8K episodes in plex. All was indexed in plex and no ban from google.

And then I was curious what it would be like trying to to play something.

It is pretty much as good as playing from my local hard drive.

This is very impressive. Let me know how to buy you a pizza and some beer.

Is your data also encrypted with rclone or fully unencrypted?

This stuff is unencrypted. But the overhead of encryption shouldn’t be a big deal. But plexdrive is seriously impressive considering it is only 10 days old. This is good.

rclone seems to error out pretty hard with crypt is all

@toomuchio I get those errors as well but as far as I can tell they don’t do anything. Plex still indexes and plays the files without any issues.

I’ve had rclone crash a few times not sure why yet

Is it this error?

2017/05/07 05:22:16 ERROR : tv/<redacted>/Season 1/<redacted>.mkv: File.Open failed: open for read: read /home/myuser/mounts/plexdrive/encrypted/<redacted>/<redacted>: input/output error

how can I watch the progress of the initial scan of plexdrive? How do I know, when it is finished?

Mount with -log-level 3 and it will show you its progress and when it finishes.

Maybe someone can make an easy how-to to people with less knowledges like me. I really want to use Plexdrive but I cannot get it how exactly works.

Dunno if it helps, but basically along these lines:

This was my install on ubuntu 16.04 (not using rclone encryption)

Go and create your own api key: https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id)

Create a directory in your home directory
mkdir ~/.plexdrive
Create a file in this directory using a text editor, vi or nano, in this example i used vi

cd ~/.plexdrive

vi config.json

Add this using the details you got when you created your own api key

{
“clientId”: “add your id here”,
“clientSecret”: “add your secret here”
}

Download the binary release:

wget https://github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/releases/download/1.2.0/plexdrive-linux-amd64 - Remember to always visit github and replace this link with the latest download.

Rename the file to plexdrive for easy execute.

mv plexdrive-linux-amd64 plexdrive

Put it somewhere, I put mine in /usr/local/bin but you could put it in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin
If you chose a different location you will need to change the paths below

sudo mv plexdrive /usr/local/bin/

sudo cd /usr/local/bin/

sudo chown root:root /usr/local/bin/plexdrive

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/plexdrive

Create a directory you want to mount it on

mkdir /path/to/mount

then mount it

(It has been suggested to run in a screen to allow the cache to be made)

screen -S plexdrive

(depending on where you put it you may or may not need sudo in the following command)

sudo plexdrive -fuse-options allow_other -log-level 3 /path/to/mount (This is the mount directory you created above)

To detach from the screen press CTRL+A Then the D key.

screen -r plexdrive to go back onto the screen.

When it starts, It should give some instructions to authenticate your google drive

Follow the instructions and Wait… It will take some time to create the cache.

You should then see your google drive at /path/to/mount

5 Likes

Nice, thanks. It seems easy to follow. In my case I have everything crypted so I suppose it needs an intermediate step.

Ok, in that case you will need a bit of input from someone who has that set up as, I am not sure of the additional step to get that to work (I still use encfs, so I can just mount my encrypted directory from within the plexdrive mount) so I guess it should be similar, but not sure how. sorry.

Just change your .rclone.conf to the mount point you used for the plexdrive:

I use /GD for my mount and “media” is my folder in my GDrive that has my plex library.

[media]
type = crypt
remote = /GD/media