Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

Define to much ? I mean if its unlimited storage for 5$ per month compared renting server for 200€/month i can live with 5 to 10 seconds start time. Whatever is more then 10 seconds its already annoying.

1 Like

You are right about the price comparison and the storage you get, but waiting more then 10secs (most cases …up to 30 or more) for the content to start is like you said annoying!

How many concurrend streams (suppose direct stream) do you think a EX41S-SSD can handle…
50-60? The machine has 64GB of ram (rclone --> --buffer-size 1G).
Then the limit will be ACD on what it will offer (upload max speed?)

What’s your setup nowadays?

Hopfully this will be implemented soon

then we will have those 2, 3 seconds insta plays and no gdrive bans.

As for direct streams probably 100+ easy until you hit your bandwith limit of 1GBps and even if rclone eats all ram with 1G buffer it will be swaped on disk so it should still work.

My setup for plex server is
2x xeon e2670 ( 32 threads )
64GB Ram
2x 512GB SSD in strip ( one dies and bye bye os )
4x 2TB in raid 5
1Gbps internet.

1 Like

Just did some acd to gsuite drive syncs… mounted the gsuite drive with rclone (encrypted)… much faster starting times… around 5-10secs max. Not sure on where I would risk a ban?

Now refresh Plex LIbraries and let us know

1 Like

currently on 30+ items… refreshed (all on manual) several times… no problems yet. Quick on metadata and also analysing.
Using an ATV 4gen as a player

Yes, got banned… API daily limit reached… I know this is an issue with Rclone/Gdrive and the way it throws out these API calls. Is there another solution available? Any chance @ncw that you know whenever this is getting a fix? (it probrably already has your attention … or not lol)

I think it’s being addressed here: https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/1337

Hey ho,

for all of you got banned by Google. If you are unbanned again, you can test my tool: https://github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive

It is not a replacement for rclone, but maybe an addition (comparable to node-gdrive-fuse).
After the initial start you should give the program some time, to scan your whole directory for media files (took me around 10-20 minutes, with around 2TB media drive). I decreased the performance of the tool, so that you should not get banned.

Playing files also works flawlessly for me.
My current setup is:
rclone crypt -> plexdrive -> google drive

regards,
Dom

2 Likes

This looks interesting, I think I’ll give it a go, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

How would one go about doing this? I may be missing something obvious, but I don’t see where rclone comes into the picture, and all my media on my GDrive is encrypted using rclone crypt :thinking:

just point rclone crypt destination to plexdrive mount and then mount with rclone the crypt drive.

Would I be seen like rude or lazy if I asked you to spell it out for me with the commands, or even pseudo commands? :flushed:

1. mount plexdrive ( check commands did not use it ) so /mnt/plexdrive
    inside this mount you should see the folder where crypt is stored eg /mnt/plexdrive/encrypted ( or whatever folder you used )

2. Open ~/.config/rclone/rclon.conf and change part where crypt is pointing eg
    [your crypt remote name]
    type = crypt
    remote = gdrive:/encrypted —> change to /mnt/plexdrive/encrypted

3. rclone mount yourcryptremote: etc…

Keep in mind you will need to play files from rclone’s mount which is actually reading from plexdrive.

1 Like

@Ajki Ah, I see! Thank you for your help, it’s much appreciated :slight_smile:

I have tried your plexdrive and it has been running for about an hour still not done and now i get “The server encountered an error. please try again” on google drive and i can’t access any of my files :expressionless:

@dweidenfeld
I am getting " [USR/BIN/PLEXDRIVE] [2017-05-03 20:17] ERROR : Could not mount path /mnt/plexdrive"
ls: cannot access ‘plexdrive’: Transport endpoint is not connected.

Using a gsuite drive. config.json file has been updated with the clientId and clientSecret

I am having issues with all my GDrives. Switched over ACD. Seems lots of people are having issues with Drive atm.

Source: Twitter

Its working from 2 of my server but failing on one hosted in Amsterdam.

Do you receive the same ‘error’ as I am getting?

rclone lsd gdrive: -v
2017/05/03 20:54:00 INFO : Google drive root ‘’: Modify window is 1ms
2017/05/03 20:57:05 couldn’t list directory: googleapi: Error 500: Internal Error, internalError

2017/05/03 21:01:40 INFO : Google drive root ‘’: Modify window is 1ms
-1 2017-04-28 20:35:05 -1 Media
Looks I am fine …

@Ajki Any idea on the Plexdrive mount error I am getting?