Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

When adding a library (reading data from ACD) the media scanner also needs to analyse the media.
Is this information stored somewhere? ( in a .db file) ?

Many times I see Plex running the analyses for a Movie when I start playing it.
Takes so much time before the movie is actually starting… Like 10+secs.

Example process:
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Scanner --analyze --log-file-suffix Analysis --item xx

What are the options to start a movie from ACD (rclone mount) in under 10 secs?

Most of the time Plex analysis files for you, but if you don’t have something that is not analysis, it will take time before you can play it, it will do that to know better how play it.

Make sure after each library update, hit the analysis all button and that force analysis the video that is been missed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks and yes I know what the Plex Media Scanner --analyse function is for :wink:

My library is way too big to do a ‘Analyse’ each time a new media file is added.
Even if a media file is correctly analyzed it still takes over 10+secs before it starts playing.

Then if your media is analyzed, it’s your setup or connection.

I’m not using ACD anymore, but before I had acd_cli and it wasn’t taking that long to play the video, maybe 2-5 second.
Right now I’m using GDrive and node-gdrive-fuse and it takes only 1-2 second and the video starts play with buffer already until 3-4 minutes ahead.

My connection is 150/150 from Verizon.

I want this to work with ACD :wink:
But I must say… if it starts to play there will be no buffering as it already transcodes ahead (if it’s not a Direct Stream)

I wish I could be more helpful with that, but try to change your setting and lower them or higher them and see which one effect more it and work on that, rclone has a lot of setting, so you can mess up things very easily or improve stuff way better.

Thanks for responding! That’s always helpful :wink:

Sure, no problem, also do you encrypt your file on ACD or they are there as it is ?
Because I saw some other people that encrypt their file on ACD, have this kind of problem too and it’s take a few second to play.

The files are encrypted on ACD

Well I never encrypted my file so maybe that’s the reason you having a delay.

yes maybe 0.10 seconds :slight_smile: there is no delay due encryption I did tons of testing playing file from encrypted and unencrypted mount and its basically the same, due ACD flakiness sometimes encrypted one was even much faster.

However there is more CPU load due encryption eg rclone will eat 2, 3% of CPU per stream, so with 20 concurrent streams you may end up having 50% cpu usage.

Made quick recording now, cant really compared it atm since I trashed my dev Plex ( had one with bunch of test libraries connected on acd crypt, acd unecrypted, gdrive crypt & unencrypted )

In video bellow i start the same movie (8GB one) once from Plex Cloud that is connected on encrypted gdrive and then from my main Plex that is connected on ACD crypt.

Simple copy test of same file from ACD crypt / GDrive crypt / GDrive Cloud (unecrypted) where you can see the average speed AND the total amount of time, since speed will count only when copy actually started and not how much time it passed till start.

p.s. Keep in mind uncrypted stuff can go poof over night as cloud provider may run hash check on files that will get your account banned or files deleted. ( google,acd, dropbox are doing it for all files that you share trough their interface and one day they may decide to run it for all unshared files as well )

That’s cool, but my problem with encrypting the data is that I can’t use it with Plex Cloud, and also it need for me to reupload the whole thing again and with the internet speed that I have it will take a few months and it’s a lot.

PS. I need to send you a PM and ask you to share your library with me too :smiley:

You should just get cheap 3€/month VPS or trail google computing VPS and do transfer there, buy from gsuits.org ( on ebay) one time pay gdrive unlimited account and transfer data.

Did anyone notice issues with using /dev/shm als a transcoder folder when using the latest (1.5.x) Plex Media Server? Every now and then Plex can’t write to it, forcing me to reboot the whole machine. Reverted back to a temp folder on the HDD.

No, but i did notice some errors when trying to fast forward.

p.s. You should do mem test on your server as plex should not know the difference between hdd or dev/shm

I have Gdrive from them, but I can’t find any fast VPS that’s cheap, the only one is cheap is scalway, which is the price you mentioned and their speed is 200mpbs, the other good thing about them is their unlimited bandwidth.
What was the other thing you mentioned about Google Trail something, I couldn’t find it.
Also have you ever heard or used StableBit Cloud Drive ?
They do encryption for you, and they have good caching system implemented into the software, the bad thing about it is that they only support windows.

@Meowingtons

I saw that you delete your post, but let me know if you have problems with it and I try to help you out with it, because it’s working for me very good.

It will be 400 to 600mbit, the 200 is guaranteed one

I’m following the settings from Ajki’s github.

rclone mount --read-only --allow-other --acd-templink-threshold 0 --stats 1s --buffer-size 1G -v ACD:/mount /mount

When using the speedtest script that makes use of pv, I am seeing speeds around 30MB/s however when using the mount the log shows speeds <3MB/s. Is this what other people are seeing?

nice to have this topic here. made me think alot of this.
yesterday i switched from acd_cli to rclone mount, im using s3ql filesystem, owncloud and emby(like plex but opensource).
the performance got better and errors went down alot. im still have issues where s3ql get some random errors because it cant read sometimes file. and developer of s3ql has no interest to fix this because its not made for amazon cloud. but it works well and it is fast, but there is lack of file retry on local filesystem if has problem reading, i managed change source code to add some retries but it only fixed part of it.

so i guess no one is using s3ql? im using as read only (and then upload manually).
Been thinking to move, or at least try like ajki github guide has, to rclone encrypt mount? is that worth to try with some video media? does it work?