Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

So what’s the latest on the best mount settings for Plex streaming? Anyone willing to share their current setup?

This is my current mount:
rclone mount
–read-only
–allow-other
–buffer-size 200M
–log-file=/home/kamos/logs/mount.log
acdcrypt: /home/kamos/media &

What are your current experiences with that setup? I’m wondering how you’re fairing compared to others.

I’ve been experiencing continually lower success rates for playing media with ACD. I started about at 90% success starting a video. I’d say I am now around 60-70%. Once a video starts though (after 2 or 3 frustrating tries), it is usually fairly bullet proof. I have found that UnionFS-fuse has issues with file size, sometimes showing a 0b file on random files which ACDE’s mount shows the full 35GB, so I have had to remove UnionFS-fuse from my Plex mounts. Specifically, it always shows 0b on my daughter’s favorite video. I use the following:

mkdir -p $mntpoint2
rclone mount \
	--allow-non-empty \
	--allow-other \
	--acd-templink-threshold 10G \
	--max-read-ahead 4G \
	--buffer-size 1G \
	--contimeout 15s \
	--low-level-retries 1 \
	--no-check-certificate \
	--quiet \
	--stats 0 \
	--retries 3 \
	--timeout 30s \
	$remoteshare2 $mntpoint2 &

I use this, not affect any error:

@reboot /bin/sleep 90; /usr/bin/rclone mount --read-only --allow-other --acd-templink-threshold 0 --stats 1s --buffer-size 1G --max-read-ahead 1G -v --log-file=/home/*******  ********:/ /home/*********

where put you this line in linux?

I use Crontab (root)

1 Like

I know many of you have this issue… pretty annoying one I might add.

Any idea on how to speed up the delay in playing media files from ACD in combination with Hetzner servers?
Plex server is located on Hetzner 1Gbit/sec up/down… takes around 10+ secs to start a movie.
Using rclone mounts.

Also Plex sometimes starts analyzing the media when it’s requested to play. All libraries have been analyzed.
Takes some time (huge library)…

It seems that ACDcli mounts perform a lot better? I am not sure on how to set this up with rclone encrypted media…
Thanks for the support :wink:

i am using a hetzner server and have the same problem. what are your mount settings for acd_cli?
i used acd_cli a while ago and it was really unstable and lost my mountpoint every few hours.

Running the Plex Media Server without having the media local, but in an external cloud (acd for example) might be the issue here. I also noticed slow downloads from ACD… like 40Mbps… and less… whereas uploading was around 300-400Mbps…

I’ve dropped the dedicated server, which lacked the storage space and opted for a new dedicated server with 24TB… will be set to a Raid 5, so i will end up around 18TB or so…
Will be testing this shortly (I hope) as it seems that Hetzner isn’t setting up servers in the weekend… at least not all servers… too bad… as I wanted to spend some time on it… and yes I hate waiting! :slight_smile:

Ps I have no experience with acdcli…

Which server did you get? SX61 ?
You planning on running it with RAID 0?

1 Like

SX61 yes…
RAID 0 is a bit risky. There’s no redundancy… RAID 5 and 1 disk failure allowed without dataloss. I know that I will lose 6TB! (5.5) of data … But then again starting all over in case of a crash isn’t something I am looking for either.
What would you suggest :wink:
Not sure on how Hetzner operates when a harddisk failure occurs and when it’s out of warranty or even in warranty for that matter? :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW… on default ubuntu install it will be a RAID 6! … Hell no :wink:

I followed these steps yesterday to use ngnix and cloudflare. This has dropped load times down to 3-5 seconds (some load like they are local). Using crypt on ACD.

https://quickbox.io/wiki/set-up-a-cdn-for-plex-with-cloudflare-nginx/

1 Like

First of all if you have a hard disk crash they will take your server offline for 1 hour to replace it.
If you loose all your data you have to reinstall everything - you will start again from rescue and you need to restore everything (from ACD?).
So if you want to have redundancy and “lose” less disk space you go with RAID 5…

BTW… I have the SX61 as well running on RAID 5… New stuff I keep local, old stuff I have on ACD…

Tested the SX61 with RAID 5… installed my stuff and it does perform better (loading times).
However it’s a fixed system… no expansion. So it will stay 4x6TB… There’s an option to move to a higher spec system… But then again… it does cost a lot … So I dumped this server aswell … probrably heading back to a previous system with SSD running Plex with rclone crypt ACD. Will be tweaking it and hope for it to improve.

hi guys…i have a question. How rclone/plex work during the start up process of streaming video? I’ll explain better. I’ve notice with vnstat that when i start a video, pass 10 seconds until i see a 90 Mb download traffic which is the maximum of my connection and then i see upload traffic streaming and the video start. So what happen during this seconds? how it’s possible to maximize the network download speed instantly when a video start. Obviously with local file there’s no download traffic and the video start immediately. I use ACD.

When you start playback the rclone mount will work full speed until your buffer is filled, I assume you have 100M to 1G buffer set. The main problem with ACD is that sometimes it can take couple of seconds before file is actually being copied.

I’ve set 1G buffer. I don’t think is an acd problem, but maybe a concurrent problem between plex and rclone. Rclone have to download and provide a file to plex that have to choose if direct stream or transcoding.
I attach my log. They refer to a single video start.
As we see it gets to 20 Mb after a few seconds and then remains stationary to few Kb for 30/40 seconds. The file is downloaded only at the end when it reach 58 Mb and simultaneously starts the upload and video start. What I want to know is why the download stops. Probably forcing rclone to download immediately the files at maximum speed, streaming would go faster.

Monitoring eth0… (press CTRL-C to stop)

getting traffic…
rx: 592 kbit/s 69 p/s tx: 90 kbit/s 57 p/s
rx: 1,66 Mbit/s 183 p/s tx: 448 kbit/s 122 p/s
rx: 4,51 Mbit/s 436 p/s tx: 416 kbit/s 260 p/s
rx: 4,40 Mbit/s 390 p/s tx: 175 kbit/s 206 p/s
rx: 19,86 Mbit/s 1678 p/s tx: 536 kbit/s 851 p/s
rx: 21,38 Mbit/s 1815 p/s tx: 584 kbit/s 926 p/s
rx: 21 kbit/s 22 p/s tx: 17 kbit/s 19 p/s
rx: 12,51 Mbit/s 1077 p/s tx: 383 kbit/s 560 p/s
rx: 9,05 Mbit/s 774 p/s tx: 237 kbit/s 388 p/s
rx: 3 kbit/s 6 p/s tx: 3 kbit/s 5 p/s
rx: 12 kbit/s 3 p/s tx: 6 kbit/s 2 p/s
rx: 2 kbit/s 3 p/s tx: 1 kbit/s 2 p/s
rx: 28 kbit/s 15 p/s tx: 39 kbit/s 12 p/s
rx: 6 kbit/s 5 p/s tx: 4 kbit/s 4 p/s
rx: 15 kbit/s 5 p/s tx: 8 kbit/s 4 p/s
rx: 1 kbit/s 1 p/s tx: 1 kbit/s 1 p/s
rx: 24 kbit/s 8 p/s tx: 13 kbit/s 6 p/s
rx: 17 kbit/s 13 p/s tx: 33 kbit/s 11 p/s
rx: 17 kbit/s 6 p/s tx: 8 kbit/s 3 p/s
rx: 12 kbit/s 3 p/s tx: 7 kbit/s 3 p/s
rx: 5 kbit/s 4 p/s tx: 5 kbit/s 5 p/s
rx: 12 kbit/s 3 p/s tx: 6 kbit/s 2 p/s
rx: 17 kbit/s 14 p/s tx: 34 kbit/s 12 p/s
rx: 19 kbit/s 7 p/s tx: 11 kbit/s 6 p/s
rx: 5 kbit/s 4 p/s tx: 5 kbit/s 4 p/s
rx: 14 kbit/s 6 p/s tx: 7 kbit/s 4 p/s
rx: 9 kbit/s 6 p/s tx: 5 kbit/s 5 p/s
rx: 436 kbit/s 54 p/s tx: 50 kbit/s 32 p/s
rx: 58,23 Mbit/s 5098 p/s tx: 7,20 Mbit/s 2798 p/s
rx: 49,17 Mbit/s 4564 p/s tx: 8,75 Mbit/s 2559 p/s
rx: 31,26 Mbit/s 2904 p/s tx: 5,74 Mbit/s 1580 p/s
rx: 24,56 Mbit/s 2253 p/s tx: 3,87 Mbit/s 1215 p/s
rx: 23,01 Mbit/s 2094 p/s tx: 4,81 Mbit/s 1203 p/s
rx: 24,07 Mbit/s 2168 p/s tx: 2,90 Mbit/s 1091 p/s

eth0 / traffic statistics

rx         |       tx

--------------------------------------±-----------------
bytes 69,57 MiB | 8,89 MiB
max 58,23 Mbit/s | 8,75 Mbit/s
average 8,38 Mbit/s | 1,07 Mbit/s
min 1 kbit/s | 1 kbit/s
packets 51396 | 27935
max 5098 p/s | 2798 p/s
average 755 p/s | 410 p/s
min 1 p/s | 1 p/s
time 1,13 minutes

@faz17 I made the debug video how it works for me. Note this was one of the slowest runs, usually the upstart is within first 4 to 7 seconds and not 15 seconds.

Before I started I remounted the acdcrypt drive so all buffer was flushed as you can see on right side rclone is using 0% memory.

On the right side you can see rclone and plex CPU / MEM usage, overall memory usage and rclone and plex media server log.

p.s. The stuttering is video is ShareX recorder problem that i dont have during recording.

Thanks Ajki. I’ve made other test and i’ve notice that if i start a video from plex web everything’s work well like you. The download speed is progressive.
Although if i play a video from iphone app it make how i write above.
Maybe the problem is with iOs app

Soooo… I’m not sure if I was the only one, but I’ve been getting really bad performance lately. Turns out it was actually PMS. Since 1.4.x they have added this webserver which capped all streams to max ~900 KB/s.

But there is good news. In the latest Plex Pass update they finally fixed this. 1.5.2 that is. You can check if you have this issue by using the web interface to download something directly via Plex. This will also be released to the public release when all is well.

More info: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/259325/pms-1-4-x-buffering-the-stream-very-slow-download-of-media

If you don’t have Plex Pass and can’t wait that long you can downgrade to the latest version which did not have this problem, which was 1.3.4.

This is the latest version: plexmediaserver_1.5.2.3557-029f6ffbf_amd64