An Unexpected Network Error Has Occured

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

transferring/checking files from a windows machine to a TrueNAS system randomly and unpredictably has some files generate "An unexpected network error has occured". usually a retry fixes this, but how do i check into what's going on here? "unexpected error" is rather vague. I'm worried about file corruption of possible hardware issues. how do i make rclone generate more specific error to further trouble-shoot this?

i need to find out if this is even an rclone issue. there doesn't seem to be a problem with windows-to-windows, but windows-to-truenas is.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows Server 2019, Windows 10, 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Local

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone check --verbose -vv --log-file=Network.txt --exclude "/From Tamara/" --exclude "/From Annette/" "E:\Jared\Media" "Y:\Server\Jared\\Media"

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Network.txt (751.2 KB)

not sure what more rclone can tell you beyond the debug log.

do you mean that you have used rclone between two windows computers and had no problems?

what does --dump responses do?

as best as i can tell, no. i'm doing a final test right now. it's already 70,000 checks with no errors as well as a previous sync with 350,000 files and then another with 150,000. the windows-to-truenas ALWAYS has network errors. that includes both our trunas servers.

are you aware of even a windows way to check exactly what is causing "unexpected network error"?

--dump will not work on local, try if you want...

perhaps update rclone to latest stable

yeah i'm trying to truenas forum. they're not quite as dedicated as the rcloners, regretfully. i'll keep trying though. it DOES seem more of a truenas issue..

If you do a search for that error windows "An unexpected network error occurred." - Google Search you'll see it is some sort of networking error with SMB.

I suspect it is more likely to be the TrueNAS than a bug in rclone.

yes i think it's more of a windows/SMB/networking error. i was just trying to get more detailed error into from rclone. but, alas, it seems the --dump responses only works on cloud remotes.

Yes you are right... If you were on Linux you could use strace for more info. I'm sure you can do similar with Windows - I just don't know how. However I suspect @albertony does...

Process Monitor is a really good tool for investigating what happens under the hood in Windows. You can try to get a trace from when the issue is occurring, and see if you can make sense of it. You will probably have to experiment a bit with the filters, to not drown in irrelevant information. For example, try first with filter Process Name is rclone.exe, and then set only "Show Network activity" active in the toolbar.

I'm afraid it will not show you exactly what is causing it... but hopefully some more hints at least..

1 Like

i will look into it. thank you for the response.

Jared

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.