ACD to GDrive migration: How to update the remote modification time for a file without ending up re-uploading it?

Hello everyone,

So, I’m at the last stages of my AmazonCloudDrive -> GoogleDrive migration, and I’m right now using “rclone copy” from my local files up to the Google Drive remote to make sure everything is there.

Given the sucky ACD limitation of not being able to store a proper mtime for each file, all files in GDrive (which were copied over from ACD) are being flagged as changed by rclone, and everything is being copied from my local files again, needlessly :-/

So, I ask: is there a way to force rclone to update the remote GDrive mtime for each file to be the same as the local mtime, without copying the entire file there? i.e, something like a “–ignore-times-but-update-remote-mtime” option?

Thanks in advance,

Durval.

offtopic:

How do you plan to solve google drive 24h lock on to many API requests.
Iam making a backup copy of my lib to googledrive as well, but if I connect Plex to it and do full library scan I get locked out.

The Plex can still see the files, however you cant copy/dowload/play on of them.

Just FYI when i tested Plex play performance ACD was still out performing google drive by 30% to 40% faster playback. ( could be that hetzner where i have server just have better peering with amazon )

Howdy Ajki,

How do you plan to solve google drive 24h lock on to many API requests.

By not doing too many requests :slight_smile:

Seriously, it haven’t happened to me yet, nor do I think it will, as my main use of GDrive (or any cloud) is as an encrypted and redundant remote backup (ie, I keep local backups too) of my local stuff.

I connect Plex to it and do full library scan I get locked out

I do not use Plex at all, just plain Kodi, and even for local files I turn off all scanning/scraping/etc. My directory structure is sufficiently straightforward that I can simply navigate it to find whatever I want to watch or listen to, no need to have the mediacenter software doing any indexing.

Just FYI when i tested Plex play performance ACD was still out performing google drive by 30% to 40% faster playback.

I do not use Plex nor do I stream straight from any remote, but for my usage so far (basically copying files between local and remote) both ACD and GDrive saturated my internet connections (50Mbps from Brazil and 100Mbps from Germany).

( could be that hetzner where i have server just have better peering with amazon

I have servers at Hetzner but haven’t used them with rclone; the Germany server where I did is located at Contabo.

Cheers,

Durval.

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve this? I am facing the same problem. Used a VPS to sync 10TB from ACD to Gdrive but when I start it on my home server the modification time causes the files to start syncing again.

Any way to change the modification times on Gdrive without uploading the whole file again?

When you do the sync, rclone should just set the modification time from local -> gdrive

It doesn’t. My files are in a crypt. They were originally uploaded on an ACD crypt. Then I transferred them over to Google Drive using a VPS.

When I do a sync, rclone starts uploading the local files all over again. When I run a check it says everything is the same. Using verbose it tells me that modification times for the files are off.

Ah this is because you are syncing to a crypt and it doesn’t support MD5 or SHA1.

If you were to sync the encrypted volumes (and use the same password for both) then this would work properly.

Hi @ncw,

Exactly my case here.

Great idea! I ended up letting “rclone copy” (not even sync) do its thing and copy everything over again… but will keep this noted in case I have to migrate between encrypted remotes again.

Cheers,

Durval.